Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliang87 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 29, 2008, 01:49 AM
    Old dog peeing when asleep
    My dog is going on 12 years old. Today, she seems to have urinated while sleeping. But, she didn't seem to have noticed what she had done. I know she's getting old, and like people, it'll be harder to control your bladder muscles. Is there any suggestions on how I can help her? I let her out a lot, so I'm not sure what else I could do. I thought about the diapers, but that seems a bit much.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Mar 29, 2008, 04:27 AM
    I would go for a check-up at the vet. It could be a urinary tract infection that a few antibiotics could clear up. My dog was waking me every few hours in the night to go out and I attributed it to old age. Poor baby had a UTI for almost a month by the time I got to the vet.
    Tenit Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Our female dog had similar problems at about the same age. Luckily we have a very good vet and suspected it was a (the following may not be the best explanation but I'll give it my best shot) flap that stops the urine from exiting. It gets weaker with age and the pressure while laying down forces out urine. He gave her estrogen as a treatment and it fixed her up.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 31, 2008, 08:03 PM
    There are also some non-hormone based medicines available for "old dog" urinary incontinence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog peeing [ 5 Answers ]

Our chiwauwa female almost 5 months old pees everywhere in the house but in the litter box along with the other pets (cats & Dogs). We thought she had caught on after the "BAD DOG" scoldings and then we see her doing her thing right in front of us every so often. This is our first chiwauwa and...

My dog is not peeing [ 2 Answers ]

my dog is not peeing and I want to know why? He drinks a water n he eats but so far.. he hasn't peed for 3 days. Starting Wednesday? And I'm worried =[ he's taking this medication for his liver inflammation =[

Dog has peeing problems [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is completely house trained, but for some reason likes to pee on absorbent things. I bought her a new bed and lately she has been peeing on it only an hour or 2 after being walked in the morning. She also has a thing for certain rugs. She has another bed too, but that one she doesn't pee...

Why is my dog peeing [ 3 Answers ]

If a male dog is fixed can he sense that there are other animals in heat and mark his territory?

Old dog peeing and pooping? Why Oh Why? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is a 10 year old German Shepard mix. In the past 3 months, she has started a new behavior. When we go to sleep at night, she sneaks downstairs and pees and poops in the same spot. At first it was just once in a while. Now it is every night. I thought it might be medical. Then we went...

View more questions Search