Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luhunting Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Trying to hold child back but school is giving me a hard time
    My 6 year old daughter has had a hard time with math and reading she has been going to extra classes for help it has helped a little I would like to hold her back in the first grade and so would one of her teachers we had a meeting with the principal about it he thinks holding her back would be a bad thing but I know my daughter she is the youngest in her class her maturity is not up with the other kids and her math and reading are not even up to first grade yet. They told me today that the final decision was not mine but the school bord I live in Utah .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Why does the principal think holding her back would be a bad thing? Better now than when she is older and has a more defined social network in her class. She will be able to adjust better when younger. Otherwise, he is setting her up for failure and hatred of school.
    macgould10 Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Mar 28, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Wow! I've never heard of anything like that before. I'm an elementary school teacher myself, and usually it's the parents fighting the teacher's decision to retain. As far as I know the parents are allowed to make the decision to retain their child if they feel it to be necessary... especially if a teacher is backing the decision. If administration states that it's the school board that makes the final decision about retaining a child, I would ask for them to show me proof. I would demand to see where that is stated in writing in the district's policies and procedures. If they can't produce it, then its probably not true.

It's the school's obligation to do what's best for the child. If a child is immature, and is well below meeting grade level standards then it is in the child's best interest to repeat the grade. It doesn't make sense to send her on to 2nd grade for her to struggle yet again through another year. All that's going to do is kill her self esteem, self confidence, and turn her off from school and learning altogether. They would be doing that child a huge disservice.

My advice is to keep fighting for what you know if best. If the decision ends up going to school board, make sure you are at that meeting. Be sure to bring proof of your child's struggle throughout the school year. Bring report cards, graded papers, teacher's comments, etc. The proof is in the paper, they shouldn't be able to deny what is clear and obvious.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 02:32 PM
    My daughter struggled in the earlier grades and still struggles in high school with certain subjects but does well in others. She is the youngest in her class. I wish I would have insisted that they held her back. Stand firm for your daughter, who knows those studies the principal is quoting,like others, may change next year.

Mar 29, 2008, 02:38 PM
    The principal has found studies showing a bad effect on holding kids back in the long run. He also thinks the problem is do to missing school do to heath problems
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 02:41 PM
    the principal has found new studys showing holding kids back has a bad efect in the long run. He also thinks its because she has missed a lot of school do to heth problems
    My long experience as a teacher, remembering how I felt skipping grades, my own children's experience, and friends' reports is that holding a child back (because of inability to do the work combined with being the youngest in the class) is the best thing for the child. The school has to look at the whole picture--parents' reports on the child, teachers' observations, the child's performance level and maturity.
    macgould10 Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Mar 29, 2008, 07:46 PM
    That is true that being held back early in your educational career increases your chances of dropping out in high school, however you can also find studies that show a high drop out rate in students that struggle throughout their entire educational career. You should ask him/her which percentage is higher.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Time to go to the school board, hire an attorney and play hard ball.

Mar 30, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macgould10
    That is true that being held back early in your educational career increases your chances of dropping out in high school, however you can also find studies that show a high drop out rate in students that struggle throughout their entire educational career. You should ask him/her which percentage is higher.

Do you know where I can go to find the drop out rate on struggling students?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by luhunting
    Do you know where I can go to find the drop out rate on struggling students?
    Call your public library and talk to the reference department. They should be able to give you national stats as well as for your state and maybe even your specific area. Also, here in Illinois there's something called School Report Cards for individual schools. If the reference librarians say they can't help you, let me know.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Hello. I know this thread is a couple of months old - but I would love an update.

My daughter was held back last year in first grade. It was the best thing we have done.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 31, 2010, 02:53 PM
    I had just wrote a nice long response recommending retention as well. I didn't realize the thread continued onto a second page. I'm glad things worked out for you and your daughter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should you change schools if you are going to hold your child back? [ 7 Answers ]

We are thinking about holding our 1st grader back a year in school. He is the youngest and smallest in his class. He has struggled with his reading skills since kindergarten. He is not at the maturity level of the other kids. He has a reading tutor and his kindergarten teacher tutors him twice...

Felony does it hold me back [ 15 Answers ]

I am 25 years old and got a felony DUI, and I am interested in becoming a real estate agent and was asking if that is a career field I can pursue and if anybody has any other careers that they know a felon can peruse let me know, I really would like to go to college but not sure if I would...

Landlord promised to give lease now giving a hard time [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I live in Queens, NY and I moved into my apt in September. My landlord promised to give us a lease that she was drafting it up. Now she is playing dumb as if she never said it. HELP!! I just don't know what to do and I feel like I am not protected because I don't have a lease. Now the...

Got house in divorce Ex giving me hard time [ 24 Answers ]

I was married for nearly 7 years. My husband was and still is active duty Army. We were stationed in Germany having lots of marrital problems. He used the excuse that he was getting deployed to send me and our daughter back to AL to live with my parents. He told me to go to school full time...

Giving up so hard to do [ 3 Answers ]

hi everyone! thank you for taking the time to read this, and thanks times a billion if you answer! I'm desperate to find a song, and it's a tricky one... the title of it is "giving up" and donny hathaway, gladys knight and the pips, and a few goldie oldies sing it! I really want the new fast...

View more questions Search