Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Mar 28, 2008, 07:27 PM
    A New Earth - What do you think?
    For those of you that are following Oprah and Eckhart Tolle's , A New Earth what you think about it. Personally, I love it. Long ago, I knew that organized religion was not for me.

It seem to come down to someone or something (Bible) dictating what you are to believe.
    Belief is something you either feel or you don't. It comes from the heart and soul, not the head. After going to church for 40 plus years, I finally stopped, I got nothing from it except frustration. I have been on my own spiritual journey for the last ten years. I felt my relationship with God was extremely personal and I have tried to live as Christ like as possible. A New Earth has taken my belief and driven it home. It solidifies what I have believed to be the truth for so long. The more I read, the more revelation I have. This book has been nothing but positive for me.:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Actually for a Christian, yes the bible does dictate what we believe and if you were not getting something out of going to church for 40 years, you must not have been putting anything into it. Sorry to sound blunt but we only receive when we give, the idea that faith witout works is dead from a prevoius post we were talking about.

Your relastionship with God is a personal thing but God does have his rules toat tell us how to live.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Exactly what do you feel you now believe that is so different from what the Christian belief is?
    What do you think makes it more real to you?
    How does it differ from Christianity?
    I do not watch TV so I have no idea about this.

Mar 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Maybe I don't want to wear the label of Christian. It doesn't bother me to "revoke" my christian card. I don't consider it to be the only ticket to heaven. You say I did not put anything into it. Does this count?

I grew up baptist. Went through the whole G.A.s thing. For non baptist it's kind of like churchy girl scouts. You have to memorize a lot of scripture, and other things to advance to the next level. You have to go in front of the whole church for a yearly coronation and be able to answer any question thrown at you on the spot. I think there were 6 levels. I took part in Bible drills, I think it was every quarter. Went to GA camp. Hated it. We were at church every time the doors opened. Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night. Went to Bible school every summer.

When I was a teenager, my mother remarried and we joined a Methodist church. Again, I participated in everything they offered. Sunday school, worship service, MYF, (Methodist Youth Fellowship) every Sunday night, junior choir, more summer bible school, and community service like trick or treating for unicef.

When I got married, I joined a presbyterian church with my husband. We served as Junior High Fellowship Leaders for 3 years straight. We were ushers at times, and my husband was a deacon. Later, I became an officer in The Presbyterian Woman for 2 years.
    I taught Sunday School and Bible school. I was a member of and hosted the "circle meetings" in my home. My husband coached the junior high girls basketball team. My kids were involved in everything available.

We moved to Richmond Va. In 1996. I "scouted" many churches for our family while my husband stayed home with our 3 and 6 year old children. I finally found one I thought would be a fit for our family. After attending for a couple of years, I couldn't take it anymore. My family was actually relieved. Formal religion with all it's ceremonial ritual, hymn singing. Choir music, standing to recite the apostles creed, sitting to recite something else, money spent on extravagant structures, and the cliques, got on my nerves. Somehow the deep personal relationship between God and each one of us never entered into it. I was in a prayer chain. It was new to me and I started the first payer of the "new season". I was told I was doing it wrong. You are supposed to say it this way, not that way. Put this in, leave that out. And it seemed more like a gossip chain than a prayer chain. I liked some of the ministers and some I did not. One always sounded like he was playing a part in a play. In the Baptist church, we had one that would shout at us, sob. And pound his fist. Between the moves, marriages, remarriages, etc. I have been a member of 7 churches.

When my oldest child was in the 4th grade, we found a church that took place at a high school. It was not any particular denomination. The music was mostly secular, but was related to what ever the message was that day. There was a full band with great musicians and singers. It was extremely informal. There was a drama team that was fantastic and would act out different life situations or challenges. Sometimes we would watch video that was inspirational.
    Unfortunately, in less than a year we had to move to Pa. I did the whole church search again but never found one that I related to.

I knew I had God in my heart and that we had always been and always will be together even after my physical form is dead and gone. I would love to worship with others that feel the same way but if I don't , it's not going to make me drift away from my relationship with God , my desire to make Him proud, and my need to be a good steward of His love.

Mar 28, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk
    Maybe I don't want to wear the label of Christian. It doesn't bother me to "revoke" my christian card. I don't consider it to be the only ticket to heaven. You say I did not put anything into it. Does this count?

I grew up baptist. Went through the whole G.A.s thing. For non baptist it's kind of like churchy girl scouts. You have to memorize a lot of scripture, and other things to advance to the next level. You have to go in front of the whole church for a yearly coronation and be able to answer any question thrown at you on the spot. I think there were 6 levels. I took part in Bible drills, I think it was every quarter. Went to GA camp. hated it. We were at church every time the doors opened. Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night. Went to Bible school every summer.

When I was a teenager, my mother remarried and we joined a Methodist church. Again, I participated in everything they offered. Sunday school, worship service, MYF, (Methodist Youth Fellowship) every Sunday night, junior choir, more summer bible school, and community service like trick or treating for unicef.

When I got married, I joined a presbyterian church with my husband. We served as Junior High Fellowship Leaders for 3 years straight. We were ushers at times, and my husband was a deacon. Later, I became an officer in The Presbyterian Woman for 2 years.
    I taught Sunday School and Bible school. I was a member of and hosted the "circle meetings" in my home. My husband coached the junior high girls basketball team. My kids were involved in everything available.

We moved to Richmond Va. in 1996. I "scouted" many churches for our family while my husband stayed home with our 3 and 6 year old children. I finally found one I thought would be a fit for our family. After attending for a couple of years, I couldn't take it anymore. My family was actually relieved. Formal religion with all it's ceremonial ritual, hymn singing. choir music, standing to recite the apostles creed, sitting to recite something else, money spent on extravagant structures, and the cliques, got on my nerves. Somehow the deep personal relationship between God and each one of us never entered into it. I was in a prayer chain. It was new to me and I started the first payer of the "new season". I was told I was doing it wrong. You are supposed to say it this way, not that way. Put this in, leave that out. And it seemed more like a gossip chain than a prayer chain. I liked some of the ministers and some I did not. One always sounded like he was playing a part in a play. In the Baptist church, we had one that would shout at us, sob. and pound his fist. Between the moves, marriages, remarriages, etc. I have been a member of 7 churches.

When my oldest child was in the 4th grade, we found a church that took place at a high school. It was not any particular denomination. The music was mostly secular, but was related to what ever the message was that day. There was a full band with great musicians and singers. It was extremely informal. There was a drama team that was fantastic and would act out different life situations or challenges. Sometimes we would watch video that was inspirational.
    Unfortunately, in less than a year we had to move to Pa. I did the whole church search again but never found one that I related to.

I knew I had God in my heart and that we had always been and always will be together even after my physical form is dead and gone. I would love to worship with others that feel the same way but if I don't , it's not going to make me drift away from my relationship with God , my desire to make Him proud, and my need to be a good steward of His love.
    By the way, this was in response to Chuck.

Mar 28, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Exactly what do you feel you now believe that is so different from what the Christian belief is?

The Christian Belief is that unless you accept Jesus Christ as the son of God, who was nailed to the cross, died, and arose on the 3rd day and accended to heaven that you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Basically, believe this or go to hell. Now that leaves out a lot of God loving people don't you think?

What do you think makes it more real to you?

What makes it more real to me is that the essence of God that resides in my soul has made it known to me. I can feel His presence. It is not dependant on what I read, or who tells me about it.

How does it differ from Christianity?
    I do not watch TV so I have no idea about this.
    Christianity is only one of the many religions on this planet. Others believe theirs is the way to God and Heaven just as strongly as Christians do. So, what makes one more valid than the other? Religions tend to divide people. I don't need to follow a set of rules, regulations, or rituals to get to God. It is my pleasure to serve God without any posted beliefs or threats of hell. Maybe some people need to be told what to do, and "how to behave". I love Jesus and I believe that he was sent to "show us how it's done."

This book has just reinforced and shed new and brighter light on what was always in my heart. It resonates truth to me.
    Go to Oprah.com and read some of the message boards and you will see what this is all about. Hundreds of thousands of people are participating in this class, and it is making them better, kinder, happier, more patient, more forgiving, and more loving. Read some of the posts and you will see.
    Jackie D Star Posts: 72, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2008, 11:41 PM
    I don't Get it.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 29, 2008, 05:02 AM
    I don't get it either! As believers in God, aren't we supposed to be looking to HIM as the only hope for true peace and harmony by means of his heavenly kingdom? (Dan 7:14)

It seems that the aim of this book is to awaken our senses to see a better world around us and connect with others thus opening new pathways for peace and tranquility.
    'Envision a new earth'? God promises us a new earth in THE BIBLE! I like the sound of HIS promise for a new earth a lot better than Eckhart Tolle's one, for I put my trust in God not man.

:)
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Looked at the message boards. Particularly the spirit board. All it looked like to me was self help, self esteem stuff with some New Age teaching tossed in.

Mar 29, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    I don't get it either! As believers in God, aren't we supposed to be looking to HIM as the only hope for true peace and harmony by means of his heavenly kingdom? (Dan 7:14)

It seems that the aim of this book is to awaken our senses to see a better world around us and connect with others thus opening new pathways for peace and tranquility.
    'Envision a new earth'? God promises us a new earth in THE BIBLE! I like the sound of HIS promise for a new earth a lot better than Eckhart Tolle's one, for I put my trust in God not man.

:)
    . This is not something I need to promote or defend. In chapter one, Eckhart states that this books main purpose is not to add new information or beliefs to your mind. OR is it to try to convince you of anything , but to bring about a shift in consciousness or awaken. It is not a "cult". Eckhart is not our leader. .

He is explaining to us how to find the spirituality that already exist within each of us. We are perfect beings of God, but attachments to ego prevent us from realizing it. The clear message comes from a place of "stillness" where there is no mental noise. Through stillness, you discover the essence of God within. " Be STILL and know that I am God". Jesus said, "Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind".
    There is no conflict here. Go deeper into your religion and we all get to the same place. You are one with the divine. Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. you always had it. We are not God, but we are one with Him.
    The moment you say "only MY belief is true, you have adopted an ideology. It becomes a closed door.

We are "human beings". We are human (our story and the rolls we play) and beings(our oneness with the supreme being). It is false to believe that you are just your story. Human alone is never enough- no matter how hard you try or what you achieve. Human and being are not separate but intertwined. God is not "out there" somewhere. What a great comfort to know that we are never alone. The outside circumstance can change but the deeper part of us (our presence) remains at peace.

A good example is the lake effect. The surface changes according to the weather or other external circumstances. But, the DEPTH of the lake remains calm. The surface represents our ego, the depth, our presence.

Jesus came to show us a higher consciousness. " I am going to live in the human body and show you how it's done"
    The Bible was written about him by many different people, hundreds of years after he died. It was written in languages we could not understand. It was translated into English by King James servants, and there are many differences between the original scripts and the translated. It is a great guide for me, but interpretation is individual. How do Christians know they have interpreted it correctly? Having so many denominations of Christianity proves that even within the religion no one can agree on an absolute truth. Using the Bible as an absolute truth for anything is at best questionable. I trust my heart to reveal the truth to me.

I could go on forever, but these are just a few of the things, I have learned. The majesty of God can not be contained in a church. God is a feeling experience, not a believing experience.
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Basically that is why I do not 'follow religion' and think outside the box and I did not need
    Oprah or Eckhart to show me that. Nor Madonna or Tom Cruise.
    I agree with you to a point but interpretation can not be individual because God does have his absolute truth whether man could agree on it or not.
    And some of the New Age type teachings can and do fall into a deceptive false teaching of tickling ears that the Bible does warn against.
    black111madonna Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Apr 19, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Instead of the sleepwalkers and robots which are spread around the earth,
    There will be a new human.. a new race.. if needed!

Take whatever is coming to you... let the beauty of it move you !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 06:46 AM

I grew up baptist. Went through the whole G.A.s thing. For non baptist it's kind of like churchy girl scouts. You have to memorize a lot of scripture, and other things to advance to the next level. You have to go in front of the whole church for a yearly coronation and be able to answer any question thrown at you on the spot. I think there were 6 levels. I took part in Bible drills, I think it was every quarter. Went to GA camp. hated it. We were at church every time the doors opened. Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night. Went to Bible school every summer.

We moved to Richmond Va. in 1996. I "scouted" many churches for our family while my husband stayed home with our 3 and 6 year old children. I finally found one I thought would be a fit for our family. After attending for a couple of years, I couldn't take it anymore. My family was actually relieved. Formal religion with all it's ceremonial ritual, hymn singing. choir music, standing to recite the apostles creed, sitting to recite something else, money spent on extravagant structures, and the cliques, got on my nerves. Somehow the deep personal relationship between God and each one of us never entered into it. I was in a prayer chain. It was new to me and I started the first payer of the "new season". I was told I was doing it wrong. You are supposed to say it this way, not that way. Put this in, leave that out. And it seemed more like a gossip chain than a prayer chain. I liked some of the ministers and some I did not. One always sounded like he was playing a part in a play. In the Baptist church, we had one that would shout at us, sob. and pound his fist. Between the moves, marriages, remarriages, etc. I have been a member of 7 churches.

Yes, I see and the only thing I did not see is that you accepted Christ as your Savior. That you were as many call it "born again" being a user, being on this committee and other things are social activities, they have no saving grace, being a member of the church does not save. In fact many church members are just as doomed to hell as everyone else who has never accepted Christ as their Savior.
    There are even Pastors who are not saved and I do feel sorry for their church members more than any.

So no doing all of that is not giving all of yourself, since you were what we called (playing church) doing all the outside world expects of you but never accepting the real message of what Christ is telling you.]]

But if any other teaching is showing you a way that is outside of Christ, then they are a false and dangerous teaching allow a person to "do thier own thing" which is of course the path most taken by people who do this without any guidance.

So if there is a teaching that does not incude Christ, it is false, it is dangerous an it should be avoided.

Apr 19, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Looked at the message boards. Particularly the spirit board. All it looked like to me was self help, self esteem stuff with some New Age teaching tossed in.
    Not the spirit board, the book club board. There has been a lot of water gone under the bridge by now so if you do read the correct board, you will probably not get a true picture unless you started at the beginning.

Apr 19, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, I see and the only thing I did not see is that you accepted Christ as your Savior. That you were as many call it "born again" being a user, being on this committee and other things are social activities, they have no saving grace, being a member of the church does not save. In fact many church members are just as doomed to hell as everyone else who has never accepted Christ as thier Savior.
    There are even Pastors who are not saved and I do feel sorry for thier church members more than any.

So no doing all of that is not giving all of yourself, since you were what we called (playing church) doing all the outside world expects of you but never accepting the real message of what Christ is telling you.]]

But if any other teaching is showing you a way that is outside of Christ, then they are a false and dangerous teaching allow a person to "do thier own thing" which is of course the path most taken by people who do this without any guidance.

So if there is a teaching that does not incude Christ, it is false, it is dangerous an it should be avoided.

I know those" things" I did are not my "saving grace" as you say. The list of involvement was an answer to someone who said I didn't "put anything into it". Like I was going to church to be entertained and not putting my time and talent into it. That just wasn't true.

Your version of "saved by Christ" is just that, your version. You say it's in the bible. Well the bible was written by MAN and can be debated like anything else written by man. I don't need to be "saved" because I have never been apart from God. His essence is in me and with me 24/7 from the time before I was born, my time on this planet, and the time I die and leave this planet. I believe in an all knowing, all loving, all accepting, all powerful, all positive energy force responsible for the universe.

We do have a choice. We can choose to recognize that "we always had IT" just like Dorothy and we just need to be conscious of it OR live in a state of un-consciousness and feel alone in this world. Or worse be motivated to accept something out of FEAR that if we don't we will burn in a place called hell. When I was a baptist, they had me believing in what I call "old geyser God" with a long white beard, and white flowing clothing. Human concepts are so limited, so finite. That is where "thinking outside the box" comes in.

I don't believe a loving God would put conditions on your being granted permission to enter the gates of heaven. Hold this threat over your head , do it my way or the high way. Or even worse my way, or go to hell. This God of conditional love was what I was exposed to in my churches.

A New Earth is not "teaching" us a way outside of christ. It is simply showing us how to be aware of christ presence living in our hearts/souls/inner being or what ever you call that part of you that goes deeper than your egoic mind and outer shell..
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    In fact many church members are just as doomed to hell as everyone else who has never accepted Christ as thier Savior.
    There are even Pastors who are not saved and I do feel sorry for thier church members more than any.
    So many people doomed to hell - some of them good people doing good deeds. I bet you feel a little special that you belong to the privileged few.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:07 PM
    cozyk--
    I think you're on a spiritual path that will take you where you need to go. Don't be discouraged, and don't be afraid. Walk on.
    black111madonna Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Apr 19, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Free will is the highest human faculty, we are to learn from teachers but never follow.
    If we can master this teaching we will become the master teachers who initiates followers
    Directly into their own way of wisdom.

Jesus is not coming to save us... we are responsible for ourselves you can only be saved by your own choices.. if you think you need to be saved, you must be living with fear or guilt, feel insecure. If you know and truly live unconditional love you do not need to be saved at all.

Take whatever is coming to you... let the beauty of it move you !
    mifflinberg Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2008, 06:02 PM
    For those of you that are following Oprah and Eckhart Tolle's , A New Earth what you think about it. Personally, I love it. Long ago, I knew that organized religion was not for me.

It seem to come down to someone or something (Bible) dictating what you are to believe.
    Belief is something you either feel or you don't. It comes from the heart and soul, not the head. After going to church for 40 plus years, I finally stopped, I got nothing from it except frustration. I have been on my own spiritual journey for the last ten years. I felt my relationship with God was extremely personal and I have tried to live as Christ like as possible. A New Earth has taken my belief and driven it home. It solidifies what I have believed to be the truth for so long. The more I read, the more revelation I have. This book has been nothing but positive for me.:)
    Cozyk,

I was raised catholic. I too have always known what the real deal is with spirituality. I completely agree w/ Eckart Tolle and the New Earth. To me Jesus is an enlightened person, like Buddha as well as others. Eckhart tolle is not far behind. Neither is Oprah as they are both making hugh positive impacts on humankind worldwide. God is not a he. God is everything, everywhere.

Take Care
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jun 17, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Congrats! Your mind has been expanded.Doesn't it feel great? I feel as if a lot of people are missing out (mainly those who follow religions such as Christianity or atheists)

I actually dislike the Christian religion because of the way it shows God and Jesus.But this post is not for argument sake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About earth. [ 1 Answers ]

Why people will be thrown eastwards it earth stops rotating... and why people at equator will suffer the worst?

About earth [ 1 Answers ]

Wat if earth stops rotating? Give detailed explanation...

Layers of the earth [ 2 Answers ]

What are the 4 major layers of the Earth, in order from the innermost to the outermost?

Earth Science [ 2 Answers ]

What are the six steps of the Scientific Method?

Movement of earth [ 2 Answers ]

Can I know something about the movement of earth?

View more questions Search