Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pomonabill220 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2008, 04:31 PM
    WC pressure vs. percent of heater input
    I have a situation where I need to reduce the input to a FAU natural gas heater.
    It is rated for 100k BTU input at 3.7" WC.
    I read somewhere that a heater rated at 3.5" WC (100%) is reduced to 0.6" WC for 40%.
    I did not find out how this is calculated... ie. pressure in inches water column vs. percent of BTU input.
    I am trying for: 100% - 3.7" WC 60% - ?" WC and 40% - ?" WC. I may need to make changes in my percentages so I would like to know how the pressure is calculated based on 100% - 100k BTU.
    Is there a formula for calculating this? Is it based on the orfice size in the burner?
    Thanks... Bill M
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 06:02 PM
    By reducing the design operating gas pressures you might be setting yourself up for a big loss of efficiency. Burner tube length.orifice size,heat exchanger,air mix adjustments,and many other design parameters are involved in the proper design of a heating appliance. If you want to play with the unit to try to save energy or for any other reason I suggest you purchase or use a nice CO and temp check meter to see exactly what you are doing. All else is guess work.

Mar 29, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Thanks for the response!
    I fully realize that if the heater is NOT designed for anything OTHER than 100kBTU, that all the items you mentioned will be comprimised AND efficiency will suffer.
    This is for a research project that I am doing and I will not be using this for normal operation.
    I have been trying to get this information and have been rather unsuccessful that is why I am asking here as there is a wealth of information on this forum.
    I would appreciate any information about this.
    Thank YOU!

Mar 29, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Another quickie...
    The furnaces that do have multi stages of heat input... how is that accomplished? Is the gas pressure varied? Are the number of burners turned on and off? Is the gas valve pulse width modulated? Any other methods used?
    Thanks again.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Two stage valving

Mar 29, 2008, 01:08 PM
    So if two stage valving is used, are the pressures different for each valve? i.e.. Stage 1 valve is set at, say, 2.0" WC and stage 2 is 3.5" WC?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 07:32 PM
    You should only have one valve but the gas pressure should be set with high fire (second stage) and in turn sets the pressure for first stage. Yes first stage is at a lower manifold pressure but if the pressure is to low you will mess up a good furnace in a hurry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

P0452 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input [ 12 Answers ]

I live in Oregon, and have a 1998 chevy blazer (2WD).I recently took it the DEQ to get new tags, but upon inspection, they noticed my check engine light was on, so I didn't pass, and they handed me a paper that said, " P0452 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input. What do I...

Water heater pressure [ 1 Answers ]

We added a new gas water heater, and after it was installed. The water pressure in the bathtub and bathroom sink wouldn't work. Can you tell me why and what to do to fix. Thanks

Pressure relief valve / water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaking valve on my waterheater , do I need to replace pressure valve , if so what is correct way of doing so ?

Low Hot Pressure w/NEW HW Heater [ 1 Answers ]

We had the dreaded disintegrated intake tube problem, so we replaced the gas HW heater about 4 weeks ago... flushed every outlet (faucets/tubs/showers) and things were great. I even removed two bath cartridges to get maximum, right-outta-the-pipe pressure for the flushing. The debris stopped...

Water Heater Pressure Relief [ 3 Answers ]

My water heater pressure relief valve is pouring water out of the valve. Do I have a problem with the tank or do I need to turn the temperature down on the heater. More background information: We went on vacation and turned off the water heater and the water to the house. When we returned, we...

View more questions Search