Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    govat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 04:00 PM
    (resident + non-resident alien) married filing jointly
    I'm on F1 (non-resident alien) and spouse is resident alien. First time, we are making election to be treated as resident for tax year 2007.

1) do I need to pay back FICA (social secuity & medicare taxes) that were not withheld on my summer income in 2007?

2) since we need to attach a declaration/statement for electing to be treated as resident alien, is there any software or professionals handling addition of this document in e-filing?

3) can I file federal taxes now and state taxes in few days later? Can I use different tax prepration services for federal v/s state?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 01:49 PM
    1) No; see link below:

Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident

2) Negative; the statement requires that you MAIL the tax return.

3) Sure; no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status Resident or Non-Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

I am a citizen of INDIA and came to USA on 13, August 2003. I am on H1-B visa currently and would like to know, whether I come under resident (on substantial presence for more than 3 years) or Non-Resident? What form should I fill to file my taxes?

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Non-resident married to a non-resident: filing status [ 6 Answers ]

I am on H1b and does not pass significant presence test in 2007. My wife lives in home country and had been in the US for less than 30 days in 2007. I think I will need to file 1040nr. Am I single or married? I noticed that on w-4, there was a line saying" if you are married to a non-resident...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search