Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Is it time for a new Revolution?
    OK Americans,

A couple hundred years ago, a group of people who were fed up with a 3% tax by their government decided enough was enough and The United States of America was born.

Fast forward to today.

If we fought over 3% then, why are we standing by now, with a tax rate of about 30%?

Add to that, I've worked hard my entire life, I've obeyed most laws, and I have paid MORE than my fair share of taxes.

Why then, does this government feel it has the right to take HALF OF EVERYTHING I HAVE, away from my family when I die?

How is it that this could happen? How is it that everyone just says, OK, I guess that's all right, take HALF of my lives work, heck, the government needs it more that my family does, right?

What can we do, as average everyday working Americans, to correct this unjust, and I feel, illegal stealing by our own Government? Does anyone have any suggestions?

This has bothered me for a very long time, I don't know why, today of all days, it seems to be smacking me up the side my head so hard?

I'll be listening.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 28, 2008, 03:52 PM
    The problem is that the dumb masses keep voting for the politician who promises them the most pork, instead of the one who promises to stick to the U.S. Constitution. Too many Americans want securitiy instead of freedom. I'm not talking about security from criminal or outside sources, but financial security, the promise of the good life at somemone else's expense. (Govt. money) When enough of us realize that we sell our souls for a bowl of government pottage, maybe things will change. I ain't holdin' my breath though!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Yes, people vote for those that want to give them "free" health care, "free" college and school education, they want not to drill for oil here, they want to stop the sell of land for the sake of a snail,

So as noted we vote those into office that want to give us ( the mob) everything free. The silly thing about free, someone has to pay for it.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Mar 28, 2008, 05:34 PM
    progunr

ATR: Press Releases: Cost of Government Day is July 6th (7/5/01)

I agree - this is really sad.

Heck, even I can run a campaign promising things paid for by taxpayors.

The Wall Street Journal Online - Extra

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have." Actually, you run into trouble long before that point: A government big enough to give you everything you want still isn't big enough to get you to give anything back. "
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 08:37 PM
    People are complacent they don't want to bother. The government keeps making laws and everybody says that is okay because it doesn't effect me cause I wear my seat belt, I do not smoke, I am not over weight, I go to work, run to Wal Mart, go home and chill with the TV so everything is fine. They don't care that the government is trying to pass laws that if you are overweight you can not eat in restaurants. That you are not going to be allowed to light a grill in your back yard without a permit.
    One day maybe we will get fed up and have a revolution but right now everybody is too content sitting on their butt.
    If Hillary does become Pres. You can count on paying at least $100. More a month on the monopolized health care system she so desperately wants.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Bush proposes financial regulation overhaul - Stocks & economy - MSNBC.com

Forget about it. It is too late. You can be happy just to feed yourself in the coming years.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 02:34 AM
    The issue was not the rate of taxation but the fact that the colonists had no representation. WE elect these clowns and as sovereigns of the nation the responsibility is on our shoulders.We can easily change things within the framework of our system.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Hello p:

The problem could be solved by term limits. As soon as a politician is elected, he begins running for re-election. He wins by bringing home the pork.

If he had nothing to win, then there would be nothing he needs to bring home. Then maybe, maybe he could actually represent us.

excon

PS> Oh yeah, about the revolution?? Where do I sign up?
    Username Here Posts: 72, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Get over it, If you don't want to pay your taxes. Go live in the bush where you don't use any public services. Oh and if you get killed, it doesn't matter cause you haven't pad for the police force to investigate it.

Use your brain, "a couple of hundred years ago" you didn't 1% of the public services now available. You do the math, tax today is cheap compared to back then. That's why there was uproar.

Additionally I would suggest you take a course in economics, you'll learn about inflation etc. Then you'll know why the govt takes so much money, otherwise everything would spiral out of control.

Louis.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Loius the real question is what are essential services that the gvt provides and what are services that are better provided in the private sector ? excon is right that term limits would be a beneficial step towards the goal of the return of citizen statesmen representing us rather than career politicians .
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 06:19 AM
    I agree we need to pay SOME taxes BUT the more taxes paid the worse our services seem to suffer. Then the waste is horrendous! Like in my county they decided they want to build a public transportation bus way under the river to the stadium (probably a quarter of a mile long). Most people walk it on a nice day take one of many buses over the bridge on a bad one. Did they decide according to if the tax payers wanted it? NOPE!
    They started it saying it would cost 7 million. They have had a big hole in the street for a few months and now they claim it is going to cost an additional 7 million more than they originally figured on. Very few people use the one going in the opposite direction that goes over the river so why would they figure anybody wants this one is beyond me.

Mar 29, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Then look at it from an economical point of view, more money in the economy (because of reduced tax) means more demand, because people have more disposable income, which means a rise in prices, due to lack of supply and everything costs more and we end up with less in the long run per $ spent.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Somehow I have a hard time grasping why people having more of their money is a bad thing. What you want is the government to be the big nanny controlling the economy and the people they are supposed to be servants to.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Sapph ;all that money so people can go and watch one of the most mediocre teams in baseball history ? Lol This is a section of the river that you could throw a baseball across and yet they want to spend $435 million on the tunnel ? Do they put up goldplated signs that read "your tax dollars at work " ? This sounds a lot like the big dig in Boston.

Mar 29, 2008, 06:41 AM
    People having more money is the worst thing in the world for the economy, you'll thrust the country into a depression. Inflation would be through the roof, instead of at a steady 1-3%

People's life savings would be worthless, no-one would save. The housing market would crash, no-one could afford to move. Prices rise, the value of the $ drops.

Money in the economy is dangerous. Very Dangerous and the Govt do a bloody good job of controlling it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Username Here
    then look at it from an economical point of view, more money in the economy (because of reduced tax) means more demand, because people have more disposable income, which means a rise in prices, due to lack of supply and everything costs more and we end up with less in the long run per $ spent.
    Hello Here:

The first part is right. But I don't know why you don't think the manufactures wouldn't ramp up production right away to meet the new demand.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what they'd do. That would mean more jobs, more wealth, more of all the good stuff for everybody.

excon

Mar 29, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Here:

The first part is right. But I dunno why you don't think the manufactures wouldn't ramp up production right away to meet the new demand.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what they'd do. That would mean more jobs, more wealth, more of all the good stuff for everybody.

excon
    An increase in output means an increase in Costs of Production. As the Marginal Revenue from each unit of production decreases the Marginal Costs increase and businesses won't operate in subnormal profit in the long run as AVR (average variable costs) aren't covered.

It's a very complex model of the economy, but I suggest you study it and you'll understand that money is dangerous and companies have there limits and people have there marginal utility, but unlimited wants.

Mar 29, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Get over it, If you don't wanna pay your taxes. Go live in the bush where you don't use any public services. Oh and if you get killed, it doesn't matter cause you haven't pad for the police force to investigate it.

Use your brain, "a couple of hundred years ago" you didn't 1% of the public services now available. you do the math, tax today is cheap compared to back then. Thats why there was uproar.

Additionally i would suggest you take a course in economics, you'll learn about inflation etc. Then you'll know why the govt takes so much money, otherwise everything would spiral out of control.

Louis.

The issue is services and goods and products. Do you want the government to do this or the free market / private sector? Who do you think is more efficient?

Here is an example:

Medicare part d and the VA. These programs were to help their constituents with the cost of prescription medicine.

I personally know at the VA that for a month's supply for a generic medicine that you have to cut in half [ metoprolol for example ] if you don't meet service connection or income guidelines, you pay $8. You can get that same medicine for $4 per month at your local Walmart pharmacy. Also, because other pharmacies have to compete, they offer similar / competitive pricing. And it does not cost the taxpayor a dime. It only costs the consumer of that particular good / service.

How much does Medicare part D cost you and I, the taxpayor?

Medicare Prescription Drugs: Medical Necessity Meets Fiscal Insanity

"The newly enacted Medicare prescription drug benefit could cost more than $700 billion over the next 10 years and will only add to the program's financial woes."

And the sad thing is Medicare D still has the "donut hole."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I find amazing is that people want the government to do things for them - like Universal Healthcare - yet they have glaring examples of government waste, inefficiency, incompetence.

- Katrina
    - the management of Iraq
    - public education

To name a few.

All this is at the cost of the taxpayor. Are you really getting your money's worth out of the government? Or are you going to fall for their promises over and over again, as they take more and more of your income away? :eek:

Mar 29, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    The issue was not the rate of taxation but the fact that the colonists had no representation. WE elect these clowns and as sovereigns of the nation the responsibility is on our shoulders.We can easily change things within the framework of our system.

Yes

Americans For Fair Taxation:

Mar 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
    An increase in output means an increase in Costs of Production. As the Marginal Revenue from each unit of production decreases the Marginal Costs increase and businesses wont operate in subnormal profit in the long run as AVR (average variable costs) aren't covered.

Its a very complex model of the economy, but i suggest you study it and you'll understand that money is dangerous and companies have there limits and people have there marginal utility, but unlimited wants.

Amazon.com: Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy: Thomas Sowell: Books

That's why the free market / consumer driven decision works better than government manipulation.

" money is dangerous " Okaaay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reactions to Revolution? [ 19 Answers ]

First, I have a vet appointment in the morning. Just wanting to get some thoughts before then. August 1st I put Revolution on Pyret (spayed female cat). The vet recommended it due to the heartworm problems in the area, and this is the third time I used it. I came home for lunch today, and she...

Do we Need another American Revolution? [ 42 Answers ]

Do we need another American Revolution, why or why not? What is your opinion?

Rotation or revolution? [ 2 Answers ]

What's the difference between a rotation and a revolution?

American Revolution [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched the internet for political, social , and economic changes after the American Revolution. I have found the changes that brought it on. Where can I find changes following it.

French and English Revolution [ 1 Answers ]

I have essya to write and I don't

View more questions Search