Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Mar 28, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Seemingly Unfair Judicial Treatment in Washington State
    I am in an active Law Suit over a property I bought several years ago. The Seller claims he never signed the Warranty Deed (in front of a notary, no less.) His interrogatories contradict his complaint. (in my favor.) Anyway, he has FREE representation through Seattle University Catholic Law School. They have the head of the Law clinic and THREE Interns working on his side. I of course have to pay for my attorney and the amount is substantial.

They have missed four different deadlines for paperwork only to ask the judge for an extension for each filing. All were granted. He missed his deposition. No sanction. I had a timing conflict with a filing date and timely requested the date be moved. Motion denied.

The opposing party is a minority (from Panama, but has lived here for 35 years)
    The judge sits on several committees for "minority groups".

Is it appropriate and/or “legal” for me to bring this to the attention of The Seattle Times if they will pick it up or to the head of Seattle Catholic University? Could it be construed as "tampering" or somesuch other thing? I can’t believe it is their intention that the “heavy hand” of the Law School be used in this manner. A cursory review of the documents and interrogatories reveals the silliness of the law suit.

(Already tried a Motion to Dismiss)
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
    That's the thing about America.

It is not weather you are right or wrong, or even guilty or innocent.

What matters is, how much money do you have, how much power do you have, and what other powerful people do know.

That is all that matters in America.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacific nw
    I can’t believe it is their intention that the “heavy hand” of the Law School be used in this manner.
    Hello again, pacific:

I don't know. If they were MY lawyers, I'd certainly want them to be heavy handed. What? You think because they represent him for free they should be less than competent?

I wouldn't do anything about it without the knowledge of your lawyer. You don't want to cause a mistrial and have to start all over again, do you?

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Sounds like you need to change attorneys to one who is a minority the judge likes, a attorney who belongs to the same clubs as the judge.

And while I hate to say it, no one ever said the US legal system is "fair" it is a justice system. Did you not get title insurance ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2008, 05:19 PM
    You may want to consider another attorney. I would countersue him for your legal costs. I might even sue the law school. I would try to get the judge to recuse himself. These are all things your attorney should be doing.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 07:10 AM
    [QUOTE=pacific nw]I am in an active Law Suit over a property I bought several years ago. The Seller claims he never signed the Warranty Deed (in front of a notary, no less.) His interrogatories contradict his complaint. (in my favor.) Anyway, he has FREE representation through Seattle University Catholic Law School. They have the head of the Law clinic and THREE Interns working on his side. I of course have to pay for my attorney and the amount is substantial.

They have missed four different deadlines for paperwork only to ask the judge for an extension for each filing. All were granted. He missed his deposition. No sanction. I had a timing conflict with a filing date and timely requested the date be moved. Motion denied.

The opposing party is a minority (from Panama, but has lived here for 35 years)
    The judge sits on several committees for "minority groups".

Is it appropriate and/or “legal” for me to bring this to the attention of The Seattle Times if they will pick it up or to the head of Seattle Catholic University? Could it be construed as "tampering" or somesuch other thing? I can’t believe it is their intention that the “heavy hand” of the Law School be used in this manner. A cursory review of the documents and interrogatories reveals the silliness of the law suit.

Somehow I don't think going to a newspaper and alienating the legal system at this point is a good idea - tampering, no. Move to another jurisdiction causing you more frustration - possibly.

Why is the law school representing the other party - is this some type of ground-breaking lawsuit?

I would get a lawyer with even heavier hands.
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Mar 29, 2008, 11:10 AM
    The opposing side says he is "indigent". I asked and that means he doesn't have enough money to pay for an attorney. The Law school offers free legal representation. I don't have enough money to pay for an attorney either, but that doesn't seem to matter.

The opposing side is black/Panamanian with a good command of english, (not here legally, but that hasn't been "established" in court so they obviously have to treat him as legal) the opposing attorney is black/American and the judge sits on several "minority access to law" type committees. The judge is a very liberal white woman. (Just the facts, not making a determination here, but it would appear that her passion for "minorities" is "coloring" her decisions. (Yep, I'm a middle aged white guy who presumably has lots of money, but I don't.)

Incidentally, I've spent seven years volunteering in the local "black community", tutoring and mentoring, so I have a feel for when someone is "playing" the system.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Of course lawyers play they system, that are what they are paid to do if they can, the teach the client how to dress for court, what to say in court, if there is a jury they pick a jury by race, sex, nationality and more if possible. They also try to file if possible for certain judges and know what buttoms to push for specific judges if possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washington State Lease Laws [ 16 Answers ]

I want to move from my apartment due to lack of income. I have been here seven months, I just renewed my lease. My rent did go up. I'm paying TOO MUCH for what I am getting, and honestly can't afford it. My best friend just bought a house and has offered to rent me a room. Either way. The...

Adultery in Washington state [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a law in Washington state against adultery?

Divorce lien Washington state [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently divorced and am intitled to 120,000.00 in 18 months at 4% interest until then and 12 % after 18month if not paid in full. I would like to make sur e that I do all that is necessary to make sure I am paid in full at the end of this 18 month period or sooner if she decides to sell or...

Roofing in Washington State [ 2 Answers ]

When re-roofing in WA state with 20 year asphalt shingles what is my roof venting requirements, where can I look that up, and what is the best way to go about installing that venting?

Tree Trimming - Washington State [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neighbor that reaches over my fence to trim my tree branches that are hanging on her side of the fence. She then throws the cut branches in my yard to clean up. I know she's allowed to cut the tree limbs at the fence line or she should come over and tell me to cut them; however, she...

View more questions Search