Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red grasshopper12 Posts: 238, Reputation: 3

Mar 28, 2008, 12:11 PM
    I want to know about geese
    Hello, I want to know about geese, because I went to the beach and their this goose I saw, he was keep standing on one leg . What could this mean?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Maybe his other leg was tired?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Birds that stand on one leg do so to conserve body heat and energy.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Mar 29, 2008, 07:27 AM
    It is also something birds do when feeling relaxed or sleepy..
    Most birds if not all with the exeptions of the ones that are ill... will sleep or rest using 1 leg to stand and the other tucked up close to the body, some put their head under their wings and some don't..

It is extremely common to see a bird , fowl, game birds etc standing on 1 foot,
    However if the bird attempts to walk and does not put the foot down and can not balance properly this does indicate a problem..

However as you say the bird was just standing on 1 leg this sounds normal to me unless as otherwise stated and it tried to walk on 1 leg,

If the bird does have a leg problem then you should contact rspb or a wildlife rescue place,

Rspca will not deal with injured wild geese and will euthanise the geese if they can not rehome it due to introduction laws on species not originating from the country you are in... defras wildlife act states that an animal can not be released without proper licence when the animal/bird is not native to the country you are in...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search