Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahmed2005 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Mechanical system
    Every mechanichal system is characterised by a definite function depending on the coordinates of each point of the system, the first time derivative of these coordinates, and time.
    What is the proof of this statement? Why only the only first derivative is included not the higher derivatives?
    Thank you
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmed2005
    every mechanichal system is characterised by a definite function depending on the coordinates of each point of the system, the first time derivative of these coordinates, and time.
    what is the proof of this statement?. why only the only first derivative is included not the higher derivatives?
    thank you
    Isn't that a homework question?
    Think along the lines of "what else can characterize a mechanical system, other than the 4 known dimensions (height, width, length, and time) ?"
    Aren't higher derivatives based on combinations of first derivatives?
    ;)

Mar 29, 2008, 04:19 AM
    If higher derivatives based on combinations of first derivatives then no need to put first derivative in the formula because it is based on coordinates .I can not imagine that you believe it as soon as you see it I think that it needs a proof.Sure it is not a homework. This statement is the beginning of formulation of laws of motion using the least action principle in the book " acourse of theoretical physics vol. 1 by Landau and Lifz

Mar 29, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Isn't that a homework question?
    Think along the lines of "what else can characterize a mechanical system, other than the 4 known dimensions (height, width, length, and time) ?"
    Aren't higher derivatives based on combinations of first derivatives?
    ;)
    If higher derivatives based on combinations of first derivatives then no need to put first derivative in the formula because it is based on coordinates .I can not imagine that you believe it as soon as you see it I think that it needs a proof.Sure it is not a homework. This statement is the beginning of formulation of laws of motion using the least action principle in the book " acourse of theoretical physics vol. 1 by Landau and Lifz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venting Mechanical room [ 12 Answers ]

I need to vent my 9' x 3' (with 8' ceiling) furnace room that contains my furnace 92,000 BTU and tankless water heater 199,000 BTU The tankless Water Heater can be installed with the ability to take in combustion air from the outside via a 3 inch intake vent. If needed. I don't want to...

Mechanical Engineering [ 7 Answers ]

What are the duties of engineers in general in today's society?

Jobs that require mechanical skills [ 4 Answers ]

What are some jobs that require mechanical skills? I need at least 5 different options, 7 would be helpful.

Getting around Mechanical Physics, Motion [ 7 Answers ]

This is dedicated to some random dude called 'Capulchin':p You inspire me to become a better Scientist - I'm 16 lololol. Basically, this is thinking about motions logically rather than just punching in numbers into formulas. In the long run, this is more efficient and ensures you never get a...

Odors in mechanical room [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever there is a change in the weather we have the worst odors coming from the furnace room, which consists of: furnace, hot water heater, floor drain, sump pump, water softener. If I don't catch it immediately the odor permeates the whole house (2 floors- bedrooms upstairs with 2 bathrooms,...

View more questions Search