Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bili Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 08:59 AM
    My Landlord is procrastinating on giving me my sec deposit back!
    I moved out on March 9th, and I have been calling my landlord to see when she would be sendinf my security deposit. She wasn't answering the phone at first, so I left her messages over the course of a week or so, she never returned my calls. I called her this morning and se finally answered the phone and states that, she has been out of town, for a couple of days, on some type of family emergency, and that she will get back to me on Monday, in regards to my deposit. She is procrastinating, is there anything I can do? or is there a certain length that she can hold on to my sec deposit??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bili
    I moved out on March 9th, and I have been calling my landlord to see when she would be sendinf my security deposit. She wasn't answering the phone at first, so I left her messages over the course of a week or so, she never returned my calls. I called her this morning and se finally answered the phone and states that, she has been out of town, for a couple of days, on some type of family emergency, and that she will get back to me on Monday, in regards to my deposit. She is procrastinating, is there anything I can do? or is there a certain length that she can hold on to my sec deposit??

Depends on the State - where are you?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Hello bili:

Most states have such requirements, but they're not all the same. You can find your states laws right here at the top of the page on a sticky note.

In general, it would be 14 days after you move out. However, some states require you to make a written demand first...

The thing is, read your states law on the matter. If she's violating it, sue her in small claims court. It's quick, cheap and easy.

excon
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 28, 2008, 09:35 AM
    It's 30 days here, I wouldn't panic yet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2008, 10:39 AM
    You want to check your state laws on this ASAP. In many states where there is a time frame in which the deposit has to be returned there are penalties for not doing so. Generally the law states the deposit or an accounting of what the deposit was used for has to be presented within x days (usually ranging from 14 to 45 days). If this is not done, then the landlord is liable for double and sometimes treble damages. In other words, if your deposit was $1K, then they might owe you $2K or even $3K.

So you want to know what the law is then you don't want to bug the landlord until after the deadline. If they don't meet the deadline, file in small claims court for the deposit plus penalties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He is not giving deposit money back [ 2 Answers ]

last year in december i moved into a basement aparment with my two yearl old son and a roomate.. i had many problem with her so she moved out after a few months, later then my boyfriend moved in .. i got pregnant and i couldn't afford the aparment anymore i gave the lanlord 1month and half notice i...

Landlord eviction and return of sec deposit [ 3 Answers ]

I live in mass, my landlord raised my rent after I complained to board of health about buidling code violations. He raised it 600 dollars and I already paid 1300 and he never updated the property in the 35 years I have known him I with held my rent, contacted a lawyer to do answer and...

Landlord not paying back security deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All. I have been renting a commercial building in Toronto, Ontario. Earlier in the year, my landlord sold the place with my lease to this new landlord. And last month, we have moved out since it's the end of term for our lease. I've paid all my rent and fulfill all my obligations. But this new...

Landlord agrees to breaking Lease, now refusing to pay security deposit back [ 1 Answers ]

My Landlord told she'd never hold me to the lease if I ever wanted to move out. All I needed was to give a 30-day notice. Which is what I did and by the end of February I moved out. I have emails where my landlord agrees with breaking lease and further states that I'd be getting my security deposit...

Landlord keeping 1/2 of sec. Deposit due to 2 week notice- NO lease [ 8 Answers ]

I was renting an apt. for 750 / month (paid on the 15th of each month). It is a shared situation where my roommate and I each paid the landlord separately. I gave both my landlord and my roommate 2 weeks notice before I moved out. My roommate failed to replace me in 2 weeks and now needs until the...

View more questions Search