Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Legal abandonware
    Is there any way to tell if a particular abandonware game actually IS abandonware and legal to download for free? I've downloaded abandonware several times only to find out later that the download was illegal and the game was still copyright protected. Does anyone know of a site that only offers real abandonware? Thanks.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Not sure what that is orange.

But, according to the Supreme Courts ruling in the Spring of 2004, file sharing is legal. Sharing music online, movies, etc. is completely legal (provided there is no money for any service fees). They compared it to a library. You can photocopy a book at a library and that is legal. Heck, the library even has photocopy machines on its premises.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Abandonware is computer software (games or other applications) that are a few years old and are assumed to be abandoned by the people or companies that created them. For example, one game I downloaded is called the "The Castle of Dr. Brain" and runs on the old Amiga system or a newer computer if you have an emulator. I was able to download it free of charge, but then found out that the creators have renewed the copyright and still want people to pay for it. Another example is Chips Challenge from Microsoft. Apparently they still want people to pay for that, too. Many of the sites that used to offer it for free have been forced to remove it.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 7, 2006, 12:14 PM
    The Abandonware term is fine to use for games that publishers don't care about, don't produce or sell anymore, and have no interest in protecting. In the strictest legal sense though, it is still considered pirated software since the copyright holders haven't waived their rights.
    (See: http://www.mobygames.com/featured_article/feature,7/ or http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...c/abandonware/)

Although they don't sell themselve as an Abandonware site, a site like Home of the Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.org/) does a decent job of separating stuff that really is just no longer available anywhere from stuff that you should be purchasing.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Thanks so much philly, that's what I wanted to know! Very helpful!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Legal sex age [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 17 and will turn 18 on October 11th but my dad is thinking about putting my boyfriend in jail for being with a minor. My boyfriend is 24. I live in California and I know the age of consent is 18 but do you think the police will really enforce this law when I turn 18 in a month? If you can...

Is this legal? [ 13 Answers ]

Is it legal for me to hack another one of my own computers?

Legal age? [ 3 Answers ]

I thought the legal age to work behind a bar was 18 but at my current employment there is a girl of 17 working behind the bar. I spocked to the owner about this and he said no it is 16 now in there U.K, but I just wanted to make sure. Can any one tell me what the legal age is for definite? Thank...

Is this legal ? [ 10 Answers ]

I currently accepted a job where I was under the impression I was to travel out of my surrounding area.During this last holiday break I received a phone call from the human resources that my itenerary would be in the mail.When I returned from my out of town holiday visit.I indeed received an...

Is It Legal [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter is buying a mobile home and land package deal. She started buying it in 2002. In 2004 she lost her job and got behind on her payments. So the mortgage co put it in foreclosure. She paid a little over 5 thousand to stop the foreclosure. Then in 2005 she had to take a different...

View more questions Search