Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Too much condensation w/ central gas heat
    I knew something was wrong when I came home and all my windows were fogged up. I do live in Alabama- it's been raining all day and is 41. When the gas central heat comes on it's like a sauna! What's going on?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? One possible problem is that somehow combustion products from the furnace are making it into the house. That is a serious problem. If you have a working CO monitor, and it hasn't gone off, likely that is not the problem. That is the purpose of the detector, to alert you to such a problem when it happens.

If the moisture is from the combustion, you need to check both the vent and the heat exchanger of the furnace. The air that circulates through the house is separated from the air that goes in the combustion chamber by the heat exchanger. One goes to your ducts, and the other up the chimney. If you don't feel confident about checking the heat exchanger and vent, call a professional.

On the other hand you have a CO detector quietly hanging on the wall wit fresh batteries, look elsewhere for the problem. Maybe up in the attic. Rain could be working its way in somewhere and raising the humidity even more than what comes in with the air. Next, try the basement or crawl space. Most attics and crawl spaces have plenty of leaks into the living space to all cold air and moisture in. Your hot water heater could have even decided to let off a little steam. Look for a puddle below the relief valve.

How long have you been in the house? Did you have less moisture on a day like today in the past? Do a little checking, and get back with me. This may or may not be something you can find and fix yourself. No reason to panic if you are reasonably handy.
    jb65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Thanks for your reply- we had a lot of rain and where my furnace is located got @ 15inches of water. Sump pump got that out- now I don't know if I should let my unit run or call for service. If it's something simple I'd like to check it myself. I did turn on the unit yesterday and it was still blowing out warm, very moist air. Had to turn off using breaker- it won't turn off w/just the thermostate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Condensation [ 1 Answers ]

Why there is a lot of condensation on my duct in my basement is due to low air flow or too much air flow? What can I do to solve this problem?

Central heat [ 1 Answers ]

The other day my central heat quit blowing hot air. I can feel cool air and the thermostat will be set at 72, but the temperature never raises higher than the temperature of the house. Does the thermostat need to be replaced or is it a wiring problem or something wrong with the actual heater? I can...

Installing Central Heat & Air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old, two story ranch house, with NO insulation. Currently all that warms the house is one wall heater and one (seperate) A/C. I want to install a central heat and air unit. My question is: Do I need to install the central Heat and Air PRIOR to putting in insulation? Or can...

Central heat and air [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing central heat and air in my home. My question is.. Where does the return need to be? And what size should the ducts be from the plenum to the rest of the house?

View more questions Search