Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talligator2001 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Help on state tax
    Hi,
    I have posted this question once before, I did not get any response. I am posting it again.
    I am currently on H1B1 visa. I got my visa on Oct 1 2004. I got married in Feb 05. My wife joined me here on h4 visa. She got admission at Michigan State univ and got her F1 visa in Aug. So now she stays in Michigan, I stay in Indiana.
    Since I pass substantial presence test, I can file 1040, so we are filing federal taxes at married filing jointly. I filled the forms etc for Federal tax. But my problem is state tax. How to work that out.
    Indiana says, if you are filing Federal taxes as Married Filing Jointly, then state taxes have to be filed as married filing jointly.
    Now what do I do about Michigan taxes. They also require to file state tax as married filing jointly. However they have a Reciprocal State Rule as follows:

"
    Reciprocal States
    Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin have reciprocal agreements with Michigan. Michigan residents pay only Michigan income tax
    on their salaries and wages earned in any of these states. A Michigan resident can file a withholding form with an employer in a reciprocal state to claim exemption from that state’s income tax withholding. The out-of-state income might make Michigan income tax estimate payments necessary. Residents of reciprocal states working in Michigan do not have to pay
    Michigan tax on salaries or wages earned in Michigan but do have to pay Michigan tax on business income earned from business activity in Michigan. A resident of a reciprocal state who claims a refund of Michigan withholding tax must file a Michigan Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Schedule (Schedule NR).
    "

So according to this she should not pay any taxes in Michigan. So which forms should I file with Michigan or should I not even any forms with them. Help me out

Thanks
    Talligator2001
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 10:02 PM
    Talligator2001:

BottomLine: Your wife should pay MI state taxes on income earned in Michigan and you should pay IN state taxes on income earned in Indiana.

If both states insist you must file jointly, then do so. Just subtract the money earned in the other state when calculate the taxes. Attach the other state's tax return to show them you arepaying taxes to the other state.
    talligator2001 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,
    Thanks for the answer. Does this mean that on the State tax return form where they ask to enter your Federally adjusted gross income do I put just my income for State of Indiana, and my wife's income for State of Michigan ?

Thanks
    talligator2001
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Yes, that is how I would prepare your returns if you were paying me to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, A question. I was in MS from 2002-2005 as an F-1 and did not file state taxes as my international advisor told me and other students not to bother since we wouldn't owe anything. Reading some of the posts it seems she was very wrong and I should have filed. I looked over my W2s and I...

State Tax [ 9 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your help to all of us. I have been trying to find an answer to my questions through your previous posts but failed to do so. I came to the US in2003 as a F-1 student and was under F1+OPT status for 2005. I have two questions regarding my tax return: ...

H1 + Out Of State Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I have always filed 1040NR until now. Because I was on F1 or OPT. 2005 was the year I entered into H1 status. So I guess now I have to file regular 1040. Right? Is there anything different for me since I am on H1? I hear since H1 is non resident I am exempt from social security and Medicare. Can I...

State to state garnishing [ 1 Answers ]

Can the North Carolina Dept. of Revenue legally seize property, garnish wages or bank accounts of a South Carolina resident? Also, all property, wages, and accounts are in South Carolina.

F1->H1, State Tax [ 1 Answers ]

When filing state taxes, should I put the "adjusted gross income" as the income earned while I am on H1b or is it the whole year(h1b+F1)? I am filing Kansas State tax return, if that helps. Thanks,

View more questions Search