Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dodge7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Credit card nightmare
    I opened a credit card with my boyfriend. Since he had no credit, they put my name as primary on the account. We were hoping to build him some credit. As the years went by, we broke up. He is now refusing to pay for the charges he made on the account. Can he just walk away ? Am I solely responsible for his debt? What kind of man steals from a woman?:mad:
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 06:44 PM
    You can take him to court and sue,and you can be smarter with your b/f's!:cool:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Pay off the debt so you don't incur additional interest charges.

Then take him to court and sue him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 08:36 PM
    If you are both listed on the card they can go after either or both of you.
    Since you are primary, they are coming to you first, If you don't pay, it can ruin your credit ( and his also)

You can sue him in court for his share of the bill to attempt to make him pay.

Deadbeat jerk comes to mind as far as what kind does not pay, but sorry to say I here 100's of these types of stories, this is very very common.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 18, 2006, 07:03 PM
    I hope you have cancelled the credit card by now.

Yes, you have to pay or your credit rating is trashed, your wages could be garnished, every minute of your day can be taken by collections agencies trying to get the repayment. Start repaying now and pay as much as you can.

If you can prove that the ex-boyfriend made the charges, you can attempt to take him to court- Judy Judy is a thought- but then you will still have to prove that he made the charges and you didn't benefit. And she will still call you stupid for doing it in the first place.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Hi,
    Yes, you are responsible. If it isn't a very large amount of money, sueing him will cost you more for lawyers than it's worth.
    Please don't ever open a checking or credit card with anyone, except maybe your husband. I do wish you the best of luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Hi dodge:

The other experts told you how to handle your situation, so I'm going to answer your last question? What kind of guy steals from a woman? Do you ever watch any of those daytime court shows? There you'll see a steady steam of dudes who think it's just fine to live off a woman.

I don't know where they come from.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search