Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lizalita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Will we be (double) taxed on the sale of a UK property
    Hello,

My husband is a UK citizen and legal resident of the US. I am a US citizen. He owns a property that has been rented out for several years in the UK. We would like to sell the UK property (which has increased in value) and use the money to buy a primary residence in the US. Do we have to pay UK taxes on the capital gain? Do we also have to pay US taxes on the capital gain? If so, is there some way to legally avoid these taxes? From what I understand, a 1031 exchange would not work because we are dealing with international property to US property. What about a structured sale annuity?

Thanks for any insight you can offer,

lizalita
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 09:55 AM
    1. Yes, you will pay taxes in UK.

2. If this is your Main Home or second home, then you can exclude profit up to $250,000 (up to $500,000) on joint return from the US taxes.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Profit From the Sale of Your Home

3. If you can't exclude the gain, you will report the profit on the US tax return. You will also file Form 1116 to claim credit for the taxes paid in UK.
    You will get credit for taxes paid in the foreign country. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sale of the Marital Property [ 10 Answers ]

My friend and his ex wife just sold their marital property. She was living in it for the last 2 yrs but he was paying her $1575 a month for child support and toward the mortgage. He was just notified that the proceeds of the house went to his ex and he sees nothing. He wasn't behind on support...

Rental Property Sale [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best ratio to use to deduce a sale price for an income property? What percentage of the price can be attached to the income potential and should the best assessment of the price for the real estate be discounted to reflect the income potential. Would "overpricing" the house,because of...

Live in Jersey work in NYC, Double taxed? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I Need to know what happens as far as taxes go when you live in New Jersey and work in New York City. Are you double taxed?? Help I'm so confused! Thanks

Sale of property for $1 [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to sell property to an older sister for $1 to prevent a ex-wife from putting a lien on it. It is in PA

View more questions Search