Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silvika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Income exempt by treaty
    Hi,

I came to USA,Florida in April 2006 and I left in November 2007.I was doing my internship in hospitality on J-1 visa. I did my taxback for 2006 in Florida in 2007.Now I try to do my taxback for 2007 by 1040NR. I would like to ask if it is possible to exempt my income by a treaty ( USA-Slovakia).If so,which forms do I need to attach?is 8833 enough?
    And is it necessary to attach 8843 with 1040NR?
    Thank you in advance for your reply;)
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 03:24 AM
    Read under Students and Appretices on page 25 of IRS Publication 901: Tax Treaties. Internal Revenue Service

Your get a deduction on $5,000 and awards, grants or allowances are tax free.
    For nonresident filing, read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

Taxes, optional training and tax exempt treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm getting a little confused with taxes... My situation: I was in optional training for the whole 2006 year. I'm from Spain and I have an exempt taxes treaty. I didn't leave the country for more than a year. And I worked in several jobs. So I understand that since I didn't leave,...

For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department. Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with...

1040NR-EZ Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty [ 3 Answers ]

I came to US in October, 06 on H1B visa from India and would be filing my US returns for the first time. I would be filing my 1040NR-EZ form and in that context would like to know a) what is the amount I should put against line 6 Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty from page 2, Item...

View more questions Search