Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mowermadness Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 06:09 AM
    2000 mtd 42" cut rider will not go into neutral
    when I went and picked this mower up (it had been sitting in a guy's backyard for 2-2 1/2 years), it went into neutral fine. We were able to push it onto the trailer with no problem. But, when I got to my house, and went to back the mower off the trailer, I could not get the thing to go into neutral at all. The transmission is a one speed transmission I believe. The mower has mtd's shift-on-the-go speed system with variable speed pulleys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Check the release lever for the hydro transaxle. Look under the seat, or on the right rear of the unit.
    mowermadness Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mowermadness
    when i went and picked this mower up (it had been sitting in a guy's backyard for 2-2 1/2 years), it went into neutral fine. We were able to push it onto the trailer with no problem. But, when i got to my house, and went to back the mower off the trailer, I could not get the thing to go into neutral at all. The transmission is a one speed transmission i believe. The mower has mtd's shift-on-the-go speed system with variable speed pulleys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
    this is not a hydrostatic transmission, it does not have a release lever that you can pull out and move the mower around freely. The transmission just has one gear and the mower goes slower or faster by the variable speed pulley.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 05:20 PM
    You should have a release for the transmission.
    SkipB Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Check the brake linkage and make sure the pads are loose when the brake is released. They may have rusted from storage.
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Any news?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftman rider mower won't cut [ 7 Answers ]

I have a craftman rider that I changed the belt and blades and it won't cut. Blades slows or stops when high grass is met. Doesn't sound like it used to. Any idea from someone with more knowledge than me.

MTD rider won't turn over [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old MTD rider 17.5 HP 7 speed. I replaced the battery about a month ago and it started right up. I went to use it again and nothing. Turn the key and it doesn't make a sound. I tried turning the lights on and nothing. I think the battery is fine as I hooked up an inverter and...

Mtd 16.5 hp 40"cut [ 2 Answers ]

My 10 year old MTD why does the new rear drive belt to the gearbox fall off when I take the mower out of drive?

Older MTD Rider Won't Start [ 5 Answers ]

I have an older MTD rider with a 12 hp B & S it was serviced at the end of last season and worked fine up till now. The mower started to crank then just stopped. It would only click when turning the key. I tried to jump but no go. I took the battery to be tested it was low but good so they charged...

View more questions Search