Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SimpleTechie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 01:15 AM
    Tuition fees paid for F-1 Visa holder - deductible or not?
    Hi,

I am a resident alien for tax purposes. My brother was in graduate school in 2007. He is on F-1 Visa and therefore not a resident alien for tax purposes. Thus, I cannot claim him as a dependent.

I paid for his fees and expenses. Can I deduct this fees from my taxable income since I paid for it anyway? Is this possible?

Appreciate any feedback...

Regards
    SimpleTechie
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 03:10 AM
    A dependent must be a citizen or resident. F-1 visa is exempt from residency for 5 years.

Apr 2, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Can I claim him as a qualifying relative?

IRS website: Section 152(d)(1)

(A) bear a certain relationship to the taxpayer -- BROTHER
    (B) have gross income for the calendar year that is less than the exemption amount (as defined in section 151(d)) -- YES
    (C) derive over one-half of his or her support for the calendar year from the taxpayer -- YES
    152(d)(1)(D) requires that the individual not be a qualifying child of the taxpayer or of “any other taxpayer” for the taxable year -- YES

Is the residency requirement for qualifying relative 183 days or just "some" part of the year? What's the definition for residency in this context?

Regards
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 12:06 AM
    A dependent must meet: Joint Return Test, Dependent Taxpayer Test and Citizen or Residency Test.

A dependent can be your qualifying child or qualifying relative. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent

Apr 3, 2008, 12:20 AM
    MukatA:

I met with a tax advisor at H & R Block. She showed me company documentation for qualifying relative.

Residency test read as follows - the person must have been a resident for "some" part of the year.

She was, unfortunately, uncertain on the interpretation. What do you reckon?

A tax consultant from elsewhere suggested that I could claim part-time residency for my brother and thus claim him as a dependent. Is this correct?

Appreciate your help!
    Regards
    Agrippina121 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 11:59 AM
    If you can not claim your brother as a dependent, then you can not claim any of the experiences. His residency status, in this case, is irrelevant. Any taxpayer who can not claim a person as a dependent is not entitled to deduct the expenses for that person.

Feb 26, 2009, 12:56 PM
    As a revision to my previous answer - dependency status for F-1 visa holders is dependent upon a 5 year test. If the student holding the F-1 visa has been in the country for more than 5 calendar years, he can be claimed as a dependent, and his expenses therefore deducted - but again, only if the student has lived in the US for more than 5 calendar years.

Feb 27, 2009, 09:51 AM
    I'm just going to keep adding to my own answers. And hope I find the spellchecker next time (and actually verify the word substituted was the word I wanted). If you are trying to claim a relative as a qualifying relative (such as a nephew), that relative can also not have more than $3,500 in income, apart from all the other restrictions.
    shani11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrippina121 View Post
    I'm just going to keep adding to my own answers. And hope I find the spellchecker next time (and actually verify the word substituted was the word I wanted). If you are trying to claim a relative as a qualifying relative (such as a nephew), that relative can also not have more than $3,500 in income, apart from all the other restrictions.
    I am very new to this site, Please don't mind if I posted in a wrong spot. Actually I have the same case. I am on F1 visa, have been in the USA for two years. My brother is paying my tuition, now I want to know, is that possible I can be his dependent?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 02:00 PM
    Someone under a F-1 visa CANNOT be claimed as a dependent on a resident (Form 1040or 1040A) tax return because that person is NOT a U.S. resident. Black-letter tax law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Are college admission and application fees tax deductible ? [ 1 Answers ]

Are college admission and application fees tax deductible ? Since tax expert indicated that application fees are not deductable then I am assuming that the admission fees are also not deductable. Is that correct?

Are E3 visa fees deductible? [ 1 Answers ]

If I paid money to have an E3 visa processed in the US (to a US law firm), am I able to claim these fees when I file my US tax return. Thanks

Tuition and Fees Deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, First of all, thank you for taking time in providing solutions for tax related issues. Here is my situation and question: I am filing resident 1040 MFJ return. In 2005, I have paid $12000 to a university for my MBA course. My employer reimbursed me $3000 out of the $12000. I am...

Tuition fees deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F1 in 2003 and 2004 and now on h1b. I did not claim any eductaion expense tax benefit while I was on F1. So far I paid school fees from my own pocket. Can I claim tuition fees deduction while filing this years return?

View more questions Search