Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seth515 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Part year "foreign income"
    I am U.S. citizen, and I earned most of my money for a U.S.-based company while I was in the U.S. from January to June 2007 (>$10,000 U.S.). From October 2007 to December 2007, I earned money in Thailand (<$2000 U.S) for a non-U.S. based company (I began working for a new company and this money was not taxed by the Thai government). I am almost positive that I do not qualify for any of the Foreign Income Exclusions during 2007 because I arrived in Thailand in October.

1) Do I need to report this foreign income? If so, on what line of Form 1040 do I report the foreign income?

2) Do I fill out Form 2555, and if so do I only fill out the parts of 2555 entitled "Part I: General Information" and "Part IV: All Taxpayers"

Form 2555 seems to be directed toward taxpayers who meet all or part of the requirements for the exclusions (which I do not).

Thank you!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 03:19 AM
    On your U.S. return, you must report your worldwide income. It the total income meets the filing requirement, you must file your tax return.Filing in the U.S. does not necessarily mean that you will be paying taxes in US also. You will get credit for taxes paid in the foreign country.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Is the "First Year Choice" applicalbe for children? [ 1 Answers ]

Experts, My case is I came to USA last August. My wife and kid came on Dec 2007. I can file tax as resident alien with "first year choice". But I can't add my kid as dependent because she is not resident alien. Can I add my kid or not? BTW, is the stimulus plan applicable for non-resident...

My Girlfriend of a year and a half.she wants a "break". [ 129 Answers ]

All right people. I'm feeling really down so I thought I'd come here to tell you my story and maybe get a bit of advice.. I've been going out with my girlfriend for a year and a half.. she's 15 and I'm 16. Our relationship had everything, we went to each other's house nearly every day, we went...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

View more questions Search