Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjoniceguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Add a common wire to a new thermostat
    I have decided to purchase a Robertshaw thermostat model 9701i2 that requires a common wire for continuous backlighting and my Trane Air Handler model 2tee3f37b1000a does not have a "C" common on the terminal wiring block. My existing thermostat is a straight forward RC, W, Y, and G 4-wire setup. I know I need to add another wire but I am unsure of where to connect it on the Air Handler.

The existing wiring to the thermostat is pretty straight forward except for the RC (24V Hot).

Here are the connections as they stand now. Thermostat is on the left:

W-W1
    Y-Y
    G-G
    RH (red wire) goes to a safety condensate pan switch. Out of the switch is a white wire that connects to a condensate pump. Out of the condensate pump the red wire goes to the R terminal on the Air Handler. ( I am thinking that the Condensate pump has a transformer in it?)

There is also another 2 wire cable (not sure where it is going) that has a white wire connected to the B terminal of the AH and the red wire connects to the Y terminal of the AH.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 05:53 PM
    This should give you an idea:

Thermostat wiring code

It's the other side of the control transformer that doesn't go to the thermostat.
    rjoniceguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Thanks! Great Explanation.
    Graphics were just what I needed.
    I'll give it a try this weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the common wire? [ 20 Answers ]

I'm changing my old thermostat by one programmable; the new thermostat don't use batteriesand the wires that I have available are Y, G, R, W, what wire can I use in the x or common wire?

Common wire for thermostat and aquastat relay [ 10 Answers ]

I just purchased a totaltouch P286-1300 which I know is a little bit of over kill for my system, but I like the way it looks. Anyway, I just a simple two wire baseboard gas heating system. When I connect the wires the screen lights up and comes on just fine. When I use the system the thermostat...

Common Thermostat Wire [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a new thermostat which requires a common wire for use. I however only have a Y,O,R, and G currently. There is a blue wire in the bundle that was installed however at the 24V transformer it is not connected... Is there an easy fix or do I need a transformer with a common...

Air conditioner common wire [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a digital thermostat. The common wire does not seem to work. How can I get it to work?

Common Wire on Honeywell T8624D Chronotherm [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing two White-Rodgers thermostats, one heating and one cooling with a Honeywell T8624D heating/cooling thermostat. I have three wires coming from the cooling thermostat (W, R & G) and 2 wires for heating coming from the transformer located in the wall at the thermostat which are both...

View more questions Search