Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maliaari Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Lived in NJ, worked in NY
    Hi again ATE,

I worked in a company in NY for 3 months on OPT (then moved to CA). But like many other people I was living in an apartment in NJ for 2 months (1 month in friends home).

All my income was from my company in NY.

Should I file for only NY state or for NJ state as well?

Thanks for advice,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Maliaari:

Was any income tax withheld for the state of NJ? If so, you should file to get that income tax back. If no NJ income tax was withheld, you really do not have to file a NJ tax return if you do not want to, because no taxes will be due (see reason why below).

For sure, NY state income tax was withheld, so you need to file a NY state income tax return. Since NY state income tax rates are higher than NJ and since NJ gives you a credit for taxes paid to NY, the NY tax is normally high enough to completely offset any NJ taxes.

Hence, if you are filing a NJ return because NJ taxes were withheld, then all of the withheld NJ taxes should be refunded to you.

Feb 6, 2006, 02:48 PM
    Thanks ATE,

No, I do not have eny earnings or tax withheld from NJ. I only have 1 W2 from my company in NY. So, what I get is, I will have to file for only NY state.

I have another question:

I have got an 1099-G from PA ($250), since I was in PA in 2004 and before. I had moved to NJ/NY right on 1st, Jan 2005.

1- Do I have to file anything for PA. Other than this 1099-G, I don't have any income from PA.

2 - How should I report this $250 in my 1040(federal) and CA(540NR) and NY(IT-NR) returns!

Thanks for all your helps in this forum ATE.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Maliaari:

1) No PA return is required (the amount of money is too small).

2) The 1099-G is likely a report of a state income tax refund you received in 2005 for a 2004 PA state tax return you filed. Unless you itemized on Schedule A in your 2004 tax return, you do not have to report this income on any 2005 tax return.

Feb 6, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Thanks ATE for responses,

I just got a 1099-INT from CA ($60).

1 - How should I report this $60 (1099-INT) in my 1040(federal) and CA(540NR) and NY(IT-NR) returns!

2 - Also, should I simply add incomes & taxes from two W2's (& maybe 1099s) to get total incom & taxes for federal. For NY & CA states, I guess I only need to consider each W2 income and tax individually and separate. Please advise.

Thanks for all your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 09:33 PM
    1) Rpeort it on line 8a on Form 1040. You only need to report the income on the California Form CA(540), Line 8.

2) Add the W-2s for the federal return. Use the individual W-2 for each state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How is cot worked out [ 1 Answers ]

1*(0.6+cot(180/44)) The Above Equation Is Bugging Me As I Do Not Know What Cot Is, Could Some On Please Help Me Out

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

Lived in Florida and moved to va do I file twice? [ 7 Answers ]

I lived in Florida up until August of 2005 then moved to Virginia. I am trying to do my taxes online through H&R block and not getting any answers. Do I need to file the 2 states separate? Or can I do it all together? I really don't want to have to have a tax preparer do it and pay the $ when I...

Stuff that has worked for you! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, only write about products that WORKED for you. Starting with me: Name of product: Eldoquin Forte 4% Duration of usage: a couple of months, don't recall now as I've stopped using it Shades achieved: 1

View more questions Search