Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsl1cfc Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Mar 26, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Adding a new dimmer next to an existing one.
    I successfully installed a dimmer switch in a dinning area however, I have added additional lighting over the bar area next to it. I installed a new dimmer for the new lights by tapping into the top set of wires in the wall wires and now both dimmers are working on both lighted areas. Would you please tell me how to separate them so that they can work independently of each other? Thank you.
    razor96 Posts: 87, Reputation: 8

Mar 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
    You really should only have to connect the two hot wires and connect the white to the other whites in the box, do not forget to turnoff power first,
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Their should be a constant hot that will connect to both dimmers, then each dimmer will have a wire to connect to each set of lights. Test with a switch first, then install dimmers, this may save the destruction of a dimmer while figuring out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding insulation to existing in crawlspace [ 18 Answers ]

I just bought an old house that has thin insulation between the 2x6 joists in the crawlspace. Can I just install new batts over the old or do I have to start over? Since the old has kraft paper against the subfloor above, do I use batts with no kraft paper? Is there such an animal? Thanks!

Adding Shower to Existing Tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and just bought our first home, actually, we're closing on it this Nov. 29th, and our first project involves installing a shower head. The home we purchased is over fifty years old, and the woman who was living in it, only had a tub and faucet. So, we'll need to add plumbing to...

Adding toilet to existing rough in [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a toilet in addition to one that is roughed in so I will have two toilets in the basement when I am done. Do I tie in where the sewer comes in (adding a backflow valve)or can I tie into the existing 3" toilet rough in. Also, I have a middle foundation between the two toilets. Do I go...

Existing no ground wiring and adding new. [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a two gang switch box where there is an original non-grounded circit running to one of the switches. I am adding a new circit and switch to this box which of course has a ground, do I pigtail all the ground wires together and run one of the tails to the grounded switch (circuit)...

View more questions Search