Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reedjoh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 08:24 AM
    I want to adopt my fiance's daughter, the father is in jail
    Hi,

I want to adopt my fiance's daughter and her father is in jail. He will be in jail until 2017. I live in Georgia. Please give me specific instructions. Is this possible? Her daughter is 17 ad wants me to adopt her, and I want to sooooo bad. Please help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Frankly I'm not sure I would bother. At 17 she will be an adult in less than a year. Its likely an adoption will take longer than that. The court's may not even consider an adoption until you marry the mother and are married for a period.

But if you want to go ahead, get an attorney to draw up a petition for adoption. You will need to get the bio father to relinquish his rights or have the court terminate them (his being in jail may be enough reason to get a TPR).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fianc? Wants to adopt my daughter, but her bio father is on the because [ 12 Answers ]

First of all I know there have been a lot of questions like mine posted already but please bare with me anyway. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I am engaged to a wonderful man and we've discussed him legally adopting my 18month daughter, and her getting his last name. She has her...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

Can my husband adopt my daughter since the biological father is deceased? [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 9 years old and her biological father just died July 30th. My husband has been in her life for 7 years and I would like him to officially adopt her now. Also, I get social security for her every month so will that stop if my husband adopts?

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

View more questions Search