Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starcrush Posts: 109, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Follicle Stimulating hormone and the Lutenizing hormone
    What is the difference between FSH and LH and how are they related to protesterone / estrogen ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Have you read the chapter? What do you think the difference is? I went through this last semester, you can do it. I will help you, but I won't tell you the difference, you have to do this on your own.

Look hun, as you know, I am in nursing school. I have 4 1/2 short weeks to graduation. I got no help from anyone. I did it on my own. You can too.

I'll be glad to guide you, tutor you, if you will, but I can't just give you the answers.

Mar 26, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Of course I read the chaper but when the teacher does the lecture she mixes the two up making it very confusing. Im not asking for the answers I'm just try the distinguish the difference between the two. Because she gave us similar definitions for them Also even though I read the book she doesn't go by the book thanks
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 01:53 PM
    You know I'm just trying to help you to learn to study from clues your instructor gives you. I'm not trying to be harsh, but this is the reality of nursing school.

Now, think about it... Follicle Stimulating Hormone. What do you think that means? What does this hormone stimulate?

And, Lutenizing Hormone, it's a little more difficult. It stimulates the secretion of sex hormones. In men, it induces secretion of testosterone.

In women it works together with FSH. These two hormones stimulate the growing follicle in the ovary to secrete estrogen.

Now, I've given you some hints, can you take this any further and tell me more?

Remember, I'm just stimulating your critical thinking skills. I'm not trying to be rude or overbearing here, but if you are planning on nursing school, and you can't handle A&P or Microbiology on your own, you will most definitely have an extremely difficult time in Nursing School.

I'm just trying to teach you critical thinking skills. If you can't think critically now, you'll have a VERY hard time in nursing school.

Mar 26, 2008, 02:04 PM
    It's a hormone that stimulate the follicles of the ovaries . I know that but she likes to trick us a lot. And she is not very clear at times . Like on the test today she put all 4 up . She had estrogen ,progesterone , lh and fsh but we could only pick 2 that is found in a women . One would think all 4 is correct. Im doing good I got an A in the class. Is just that I was wanting a better understanding of the 2 hormones. I can do this. I already worked in a LTC and hospital setting so its not like this is all new to me. By no means am I try to just get answers I like to learn and get an understanding of things .
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 02:06 PM
    All 4 are correct. All 4 are found in women during different times of their cycles.

What was the question? Can you remember?

Mar 26, 2008, 02:30 PM
    The question was which are found in a women ? It wasn't no all of the above either the choice was lh and fsh or estrogen and progesterone the other 2 choices was totally off so I knew those wasn't right. But if you think about it shouldve been all 4 .
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Was that the complete question or was it more like

What is found in a woman during the luteal phase of menstruation?

Yes, all 4 hormones are found in a woman's body, they appear and disappear at different phases of our cycles.

Bear with me, I left my glasses in my back pack in the car, but I'm trying to look this up for you in my Maternal and Neonatal book from last semester.

Okay, here we go, this might get a little confusing so stop me if it does, okay...

During the Follicular phase of the cycle FSH is released
    During Ovulation Estrogen is released
    During the Luteal phase LH is released,

And finally, at the end of ovulation Progesterone is released with a slight amount of Estrogen.

All 4 are in our systems at all times, just at different levels. The levels rise and fall.

Mar 26, 2008, 03:17 PM
    That was the question
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 03:25 PM
    The question was

What is found in a woman during the luteal phase of menstruation?

Then the answer is FSH and LH.

All 4 hormones are in the woman's system, however, the hormones with the highest percentage are FSH and LH.

Mar 26, 2008, 03:27 PM
    The question was which hormones are found in the women ?
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Sheesh, that question is really too broad to answer with the limited answers you were given. There are tons of hormones found in women.

If it were me, I would debate that question with my instructor. Heck, we even have testosterone in our systems.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 03:39 PM
    I would also tell the instructor there is no such hormone as estrogen, it is a collective name for a couple of hormones. But then I would probably be being picky.

I'm not a nursing student but when I learnt how the contraceptive pill worked in pharmacology and therefore the cycles of those hormones I just learnt a graph like this and it helped loads.
    Image:Estradiol.Cycle.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 03:40 PM
    LOL, that's the chart in my book I was referring to.

Yes, estrogen is a collection of hormones for the chemist like you T, but for nurses like us it is considered an individual hormone. We don't get into the molecular level of hormones in nursing school.

Mar 26, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Thanks hun for everything I know the question was too broad she is not always clear especially on test. Congrats on your RN
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Thanks on the congrats.

You will find, if you haven't already, that questions will become broader and broader.

On my last test we were given 4 answers (multiple choice obviously), and ALL for answers were correct. We just had to pick the most correct.

Never read too much into a question. Take a highlighter and highlight the important parts of the question that will lead you to the correct answer.

Girl, I have TONS of test taking tips. LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hormone imbalance [ 4 Answers ]

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what minerals and vitamins I need to balance hormones. It is for my daughter who has high highs and low lows and is crying all the time. I know enough about natural therapy to know that I can help her with it. I don't like the idea of taking her to a doctor who...

Hormone replacements [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if there are any women who have or are going through menopause? My mom just had a hysterctomy and wanted to know if there are any natural hormone supplements that she can take that might work as well as what she would get from the doctor? Her doctors tell her there aren't...

Lutenizing Hormone [ 1 Answers ]

Some of you might have read my earlier query.I have an irregular period.Had two missed abortion in two years time.Have Thyroid which is under control and also poly cystic ovary.trying to get pregnant now.But my LH value is 7.2.Will this affect my pregnancy.Also heard LH value should be less than...

View more questions Search