Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    navyman4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Credit card debit
    Can credit card companies place a lien on a home for debit owed to them?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Generally a personal residence is an exempt asset.

Even if they can place a lien, that only means the debt has to be paid before the house is sold.
    nailtherat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Generally speaking, credit cards are unsecured debt. There are a limited number of credit instruments commonly called credit cards, however, they are actually secured debit cards. Much like the debit card you might use to access your checking account, those cards draw from funds that you have already deposited into an account. With regard to using your home as collateral for a "credit card", there are home equity loans and revolving home equity lines of credit. Both of those credit instruments do, in fact, use your home as collateral, and consequently do impose a lien on your property while the account is open. In the unfortunate event that your account goes delinquent, the creditor usually has the option to seize your asset to force repayment of the debt you owe.

Note that these are very general descriptions as credit laws and practices vary widely from state to state. A tremendous reference on all money/credit related topics can be found at bankrate.com.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by navyman4
    can credit card companies place a lien on a home for debit owed to them?

Depends on the State: "How are liens attached to your property? First a creditor must summons you to appear in court and win a judgment. In about half of all states, once a creditor wins a judgment, a lien is automatically placed on your property in the county in which the judgment was won. In the other states, the creditor must record the judgment with the respective Secretary of State, Circuit Court Clerk, Recorder of Deeds, etc."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? [ 20 Answers ]

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? We increase our Debts like any thing when we have Credit Card because we spend /buy the goods with free hand / shopping habits, in this case will it not be a better to keep a debit card instead of a credit card? :confused: What are your views on...

Debit or credit [ 1 Answers ]

On October 1, 20x1, the Jernnigan Company paid $4800 for a one-year insurance policy. On December 31, 20x1, the adjusting entry would include a. a debit to Insurance Expense, $3,600 b. a credit to Insurance Payable, $1,200 c. a credit to Prepaid Insurance, $1,200 d. a debit to Insurance...

Credit Card Debit & Death [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed away on March 26, 2007. He lived In The Philippines. All his mail & CC info was being sent to my house in Illinois. On the morning of his death, I,his son purchased a plane ticket to the Philippines using his credit card that was sent to my house. The CC company does/did not know...

Debit balance, debit entries, and credit entries [ 1 Answers ]

This is a silly question I'm sure, and the answer is very simple, but it is driving me crazy... The problem is: At the beginning of the year, The Office Equipment account of Gulf Coast Airlines had a debit balance of $126,900. During the year, debit entries of $23, 400 and credit entries of...

Debit and credit [ 2 Answers ]

What's the diffeent between debit and credit

View more questions Search