Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flamingo1234 Posts: 75, Reputation: -1

Mar 25, 2008, 04:27 AM
    Pest kids
    :mad: I have these 4 or 5 pesty teenagers that keep coming in my yard. We have a motorcross track, and they come into our yard and ride on it when we are right there!! There is also a kid who tried to take a dirtbike out of our shed in broad daylight. I'm going to need a gun to get rid of them. Since I don't want a big gun, I was thinking a paintball gun or a Co2 pellet rifle. I saw a paintball gun that looks like a M4 assult rifle. I'm not trying to hit them, just show them I have a gun and WILL shoot them.:mad:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 05:14 AM
    I don't think using any kind of gun is a good idea. Producing a gun, even paint ball, isn't going to teach them anything. If I were you I would go to the police and get them to handle the situation seeing as they are on private property.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 06:46 AM
    I agree with tickle, go to the police.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Ok so you get a paintball gun and wave it at them. Then one of them comes on your property with a real gun and shoots you claiming self defense. Yes I know they are trespassing, but you may not have the right to use or threaten deadly force.

Have you complained to the police? Is the yard fenced? Rather than a gun, I would get a good dog. A Doberman or similar. I would also consider putting up a camera to prove to the police they are trespassing.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Mar 25, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Quite honestly, I would stick up No Trespassing signs for starters. Then, I would definitely call the police and tell them your situation.

Lol if you want to take out your paintball aggression, you could go through the procedure of setting up a paintball course and proudly display a sign that says "No Trespassing Violaters Will Be Shot." Muahahaha.
    squeaks77 Posts: 113, Reputation: 19
    -

Mar 25, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Have you tried the police? I mean maybe just ask them to send a patrol car by when these kids show up to scare them off. If it happens a few days in a row they should get the hint. I totally understand wanting to shoot them with paintballs, but in the end that's going to hurt YOU more in possible lawsuits or at least getting you house egged/tagged.

Mar 25, 2008, 03:11 PM
    O.K. let me explain more. I put up no trespassing signs up. Twice. Once in the spring, and some in the late fall. They knocked them all down. They all live in an apartment building and are about 12, so they can't have guns. The cops also came a few times, but they still come. I'm going to sit in a tree and spy on them, then jump down and scare them. We also have a dog, but they THROW ROCKS AT HIM. (thats why the cops came once)
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 25, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Get a mean guard dog, one that eats rocks. It will keep them away. Do you know where these kids live, talk to their parents.

Mar 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingo1234
    they all live in an apartment building and are about 12, so they can't have guns.
    You are kidding right? You really think a 12 yr old can't get a gun if they really want to?

Quote Originally Posted by flamingo1234
    the cops also came a few times, but they still come. i'm going to sit in a tree and spy on them, then jump down and scare them. we also have a dog, but they THROW ROCKS AT HIM. (thats why the cops came once)
    Did the cops catch them in the act? If so what happened? If not, then you need to film then so you have proof.

Mar 26, 2008, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yes I know they are trespassing, but you may not have the right to use or threaten deadly force.
    Neither do they

Mar 26, 2008, 03:50 AM
    Comment on mafiaangel180's post
    I agree with you. Is a good idea
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 04:51 AM
    flamingo, from what you say, these kids have no respect for authority and as you describe them,they are young thugs. I can almost guess what the neighbourhood looks like.

You will do no good to yourself, or your cause in getting these kids out of your yard if you drop down to their level. You say you will hide in a tree and jump down on them to scare them is something a l2 year old would do.

Someone suggested, or maybe it was you, of getting their antics on camera.

If nothing works and you can't handle the situation, or the police authority isn't doing anything, then maybe you should move to a better neighbourhood. Either that or put a strong chain link fence if you value this piece of property higher then anything else.

These hoodlums have to stop seeing you specifically as the victim. I would like to say gaining their respect would be a big step forward but at this juncture I don't think that would work; too much 'water under the bridge'.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 26, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Can you fence in your yard (barbed wire) or at least the track? You could get rid of the track since that is what they like (not that I would want to do that). Or you could take their bikes away from them after you leap out of that tree, probably not exactly legal but what will they do call the cops? Or egg your house.

Mar 26, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Of course there is another possibility. Invite them to come at specific times and set up a race league. Of course that might present an insurance nightmare.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Kids will be kids regardless of what age they are. Apparently your private track is too enticing to keep them at bay. Talk to the parents for one if you know where they live for starters since signs do not work. Is there any comparable facility in your area where they can go? If there is, mention that to the parents. Getting more dogs won't work either. Installing video cameras and catching them in the act and then prosecuting them is probably your only "safe" out for this situation. You certainly don't want the cops at your place if you are brandishing a "weapon" whether it be a paint ball gun or an Uzzi toy gun. You have a too much of an enticing track and will have to figure out legally how to keep them out.

Check with your insurance carrier and see just how much more it would cost if you had "invited guests" use your track for say a few hours on designated days and then approach the parents with the additional insurance cost and let the parents pay you for their kid's fun. You are not charging them admission per se, but contributing toward the insurance for their own being.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
    You need to get them on video and tell the police that you do not feel you should be liable for any injuries since you have put up no trespassing signs and called the cops and nothing has been done. Put locks on your shed and try to get the track fenced in.
    Paint ball gun would fall under taking the law into your own hands and you could end up being the one that gets taken to court.

Apr 23, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Of course there is another possibility. Invite them to come at specific times and set up a race league. Of course that might present an insurance nightmare.
    I don't wan't them around, I WANT THEM TO GO!!

Apr 23, 2008, 05:48 PM
    [QUOTE=twinkiedooter]KYou certainly don't want the cops at your place if you are brandishing a "weapon" whether it be a paint ball gun or an Uzzi toy gun[QUOTE] uzi has one z not two
    Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Flamingo, we tried to help with a lot of advice but apparently nothing is working. I don't know what your last post means ?

I know that you want them to go, but we within this forum can't make them go. Only you can find a safe way to do this and it should not include violence. Okay.

Jul 27, 2008, 05:07 PM
    They don't come around that much anymore

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Larvae Like Pest [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I have been seeing several small larvae looking things that resemble a cream colored caterpillar about a half inch in length. I have been remodelling my house for quite a while and am about to repaint but am trying to figure out what these things are. They seem to go to the corners...

Garden pest [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get rid of chipmunks

View more questions Search