Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Venkatesh76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 02:33 AM
    1040NR or 1040EZ and can I (non-resident alien) claim spouse as dependent
    Hi,

Need your help in finding the right form to use.

I am working for an Indian company and was deputed to our client site at US for work assignment. Me on H1 visa and my wife on H4 visa were there at US from Nov 2006 till mid Feb 2007. We both returned back to work from our India office and during the rest of 2007 I was in India only. I have my SSN, but my wife is not having SSN / ITIN.

I received my salary in USD during my stay in US and a minimum amount in INR. When I returned to India, there is no USD pay and I have only INR pay.

By checking the substantial presence test, I haven't put in the required number of days stay in US and hence I am a non-resident alien.

My questions are:
    (1) Which form should I use - 1040NR / 1040EZ / 1040NREZ?
    (2) Which form will help me claim my wife as dependent?
    (3) Can I file W7 to get an ITIN for my wife from India?

Please help with the answers.

THanks in advance
    Venkatesh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Venkatesh:

If you were paid by your Indian company and NOT by a U.S. company or U.S. subsidiary of your Indian company, then, as specified in the U.S.-India Tax Treaty, your income earned while in the U.S. is EXEMPT from U.S. taxation due to the short duration of your visit.
    Venkatesh76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Venkatesh:

If you were paid by your Indian company and NOT by a U.S. company or U.S. subsidiary of your Indian company, then, as specified in the U.S.-India Tax Treaty, your income earned while in the U.S. is EXEMPT from U.S. taxation due to the short duration of your visit.

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thanks for responding to the query.
    Yes parent company is registered in India and also my parent company paid me salary in USD during my stay in USA.
    Please help me with the answers for below:
    (1) Which form should I use for tax filing?
    (2) How do I claim the benefit of the mentioned treaty?
    (3) Do I need to apply for an ITIN for my spouse?

Kindly let me know at your earliest.

Thanks and Regards.
    Venkatesh
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 4, 2008, 10:21 PM
    1. If you received W2, it means that the payment is from the U.S. company.There is no treaty benefit available. For U.S. India tax treaty read: India U.S. Tax Treaty

2. For 2006 and 2007 you will file only nonresident tax return. In 2006 you will get $3300 of personal exemption and in 2007 you will get $3400. You can claim itemized deductions. You will not get exemption of your spouse.

3. File 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and you don't need to file W7.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Agreed; if you received a W-2, then you got paid by a U.S. company and the advice offered by MukatA is valid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse-EAD but did not earn. Can I claim as dependent [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am working on H1 and my spouse came here last year on H4 (dependant visa). We got our EAD (Employment Authorization Document) in Oct 2007. I am still on my H1. My spouse however has not earned anything in 2007 as he did not work. My question is, can I claim him as a dependent on my tax...

1040NR for L1A Indian non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an Indian citizen, married with two kids on an L1A visa in the US (California) since July '06. I'm being paid by the US company I'm employed with since July '06. I've been in the States for less than 180 days in 2006, and will file my 2006 tax returns for Indian income in India. In 2006, I have...

1040NR -> 1040: Non-resident Alien to Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard a rumor that after 5 years of being an international student filling out 1040NRs, you are supposed to start filling out a 1040 instead of a 1040NR. I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and...

H1(Resident Alien) with spouse(h4) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien for tax purposes and I got married in India last year(2006). But my wife joint my in jan, 2007. 1) Can I still file tax jointly considering my wife as a spouse of resident alien. 2)I also need W-7 form to get an ITIN for my wife. If I can not file jointly Can I...

Spouse of resident alien [ 3 Answers ]

I have an L1 visa and have been resident in the US since 1st Jan 2006. I am married and my wife accompanied me on L2 visa, and is also resident with me since 1st Jan 2006. While I work in the US and have an SSN, my wife does not work (and is also not eligible for SSN), and also has no income. She...

View more questions Search