Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    florida wife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 06:51 PM
    It keeps getting worse and worse
    I recently separated from my husband after 20 years of marriage. He has been keeping financial info from me for years. Found out at the sell of our home that there was an IRS lien on property (loan is in his name) Also found out that house is going into foreclosure. The closing fell through, and I found myself without a job, home or husband. My daughter is away at college and my 17 years old son is going back and forth with me and his dad. My husband refuses to admit that he is wrong about keeping info from me. Last night I found out that he has moved back into "our" home with a "woman friend" and her daughter for "financial reasons". She is sleeping in my bed, her daughter in my daughter's room and my son sleeping on the couch. Oh and I am staying at my sister's. Without going into more detail, what can I do without spending a fortune on an attorney?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 06:58 PM
    First what is there you want to do with an attorney?

If your IRS issues is from joint filings then you will have IRS liability also most likely depends on how much is due and what the house sells for.

You may if there is a large debt on the house on a mortgage also have debts required.

Your first job will be finding out exactly how bad off you are.

It appears you only have one child under 18 and one child over 18 off in college. If your soon to be ex has a job, you will want to try to get child support for both the girl in college (many times you can get it up to 21 if they are in college) money to help pay her college. And of course regular child support for the one under 18. It is most likely that there is no real property to divide so that does not sound like any issue.

So you need to find help with your IRS issues and an attorney to file divorce and custody and child support for you and your children
    florida wife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Thank you for your reply. I guess I want to know if I can get them out of the house and my son and I move back in. He put all the furniture in storage, as we had already moved out before the closing fell through. I am OK with the IRS. I have always filed separately because my husband has always been self employed and claimed he didn't owe income taxes.

Also, I know we owe less than what the house is worth but it didn't sell because of the IRS lien. My husband has advised that I not waste my money on an attorney (like I have any money) because he doesn't believe the courts should become involved in his personal affairs and that I should just trust that he will provide to me what he can afford. I'm just tired of all the lies and manipulations and want to have a home for my son and I to live in.

He claims this woman helped him out financially and that he owes her for helping him and that is why they have moved into the house. And he doesn't understand why that is a problem.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Feb 5, 2006, 07:28 PM
    I don't understand why you aren't living in the house with your son, and your husband and his woman "friend" living with his brother. Even if you have no responsibility for the tax lien, IRS can take the house if he is on the mortgage. .
    I'm sure your husband would advise you not to get a lawyer, wish my first wife hadn't. Would have made things a lot easier for me. Believe me the court will, and needs to, get involved in HIS personal affairs. You may not feel you can afford a lawyer, but if you don't get a good one you will pay more in the end. Your lawyer can probably advise you on selling the house with the IRS lien on it.

I wish you luck
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2006, 07:33 PM
    You own the house as well. Just because its in his name doesn't matter. This is your matrimonial home. Go back home, then kick his girlfriend and gfs daughter out.

But klmgb is right, get a lawyer. In the long run, you will save LOTS of money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terrible odor in bathroom--worse with stormy weather--HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

I have had about ten plumbers here. No one can figure out what this is... We purchased the home two years ago--it has been ongoing since that time. House is fifty years old. Previous owners rehabbed the bathroom in 1998. We do not have the odor in the winter. Only in the spring and summer. It...

Leaking Shower getting worse! [ 6 Answers ]

:( I have an increasingly fast dripping leak coming from the pipe that attaches to the shower head. The pipe is mostly 'hidden' behing a tiled wall, with about 2 to 3 inches poking out of the wall. (I've removed all the shower head unit but that didn't stop the leak... its definitely coming...

Dumped after 6 years, found a new girl, feeling even worse [ 121 Answers ]

It's been 2 months since my 6 year relationship with my girlfriend from high school ended. I don't have much of a desire to contact her, and it's been going well up until now. I recently met a girl at a club a few days ago and she seems really nice- a college senior who is just a year younger...

Shower drain leak or something worse? [ 2 Answers ]

Have recently discovered a leak that is causing a water spot on the ceiling of the first floor. The leak is directly below the shower drain. I believe it is the drain but in checking my shower upstairs (its a fiberglass one piece shower stall) the floor seems pretty solid except against the inside...

Worse Advice Ever [ 4 Answers ]

What's the worse advice you have seen someone give over the internet - on this site or others. For me it was when I was having trouble with my Gamecube once. I found another thread where somebody was having a similar problem to mine. Someone suggested that it might be due to a build up of dust...

View more questions Search