Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Washington State Lease Laws
    I want to move from my apartment due to lack of income. I have been here seven months, I just renewed my lease. My rent did go up. I'm paying TOO MUCH for what I am getting, and honestly can't afford it. My best friend just bought a house and has offered to rent me a room. Either way. The dilemma is this. I was told that if you reside somewhere for 6 months or longer then you are not responsible for RESEASONABLE damage done to the apartment. Does this include ink stains on the carpet? I know that is a stupid question...

And also what is the easiest way to break my lease?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 10:36 PM
    You may have to pay a penalty if you break the lease. "Normal wear and tear" is the term I'm always hearing. Ink stains on the carpet probably won't be considered normal. Can you trim the carpet in those areas and remove the stain that way?
    Vision Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 10:38 PM
    I can try that...

I was hoping that it would be considered normal wear and tear since I have a dog, and she did it. And I have paid pet fees.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Ink stains, especially in 6 months, aren't considered normal wear and tear. The real difficulty I can see you having is that you just renewed your lease, and if you break it now, the odds are high that you are going to be paying stiff penalties. What is the term of the new lease you signed? 3 months, 6, or 1 year?
    Vision Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 06:24 PM
    6 months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Smart dog, using an ink container, just messy. I thnk I would start making them use pencils instead.

But you can first merely talk to the landlord and see if they can release you, espif they know you can't afford it. When I was a landlord I often worked with people that would talk to me. Now a lot won't but always worth a chance
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 07:01 PM
    A friend of mine's boyfriend moved out. She talked to her landlord, told him that she wouldn't be able to pay what the lease stated because her income was much less than the two of them has signed for. He lowered the rent $100 a month.

Keep in mind that property taxes and the cost of repairs keep going up. That hits your landlord in the wallet.
    Vision Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Haha, yeah they aren't going to lower my rent, that much I KNOW.
    Vision Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 11:38 AM
    My main question is this: After one year is any damage to the carpet considered wear and tear and I won't be charged for it? This is what I've heard.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 11:47 AM
    No, "all" damage is not, if there are specific stains in the carpet that were not from normal walking on it. If it can not be cleaned and acceptable to be reused you can be held liable.
    Vision Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Is that the rule in Georgia or Washington?

People that own young animal generally have a tendency to have stains on their carpets that didn't come from walking. That is the reason that I paid a pet deposit.

I was told that after a year that these wouldn't be an issue, and that the carpets have to be replaced after a year anyway.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Try using oxi-clean on the stain. I used it for burgundy fingernail polish spilled on the carpet.
    Vision Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 12:21 PM
    I have... no luck...
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Is that the rule in Georgia or Washington?

People that own young animal generally have a tendancy to have stains on their carpets that didn't come from walking. That is the reason that I paid a pet deposit.

I was told that after a year that these wouldn't be an issue, and that the carpets have to be replaced after a year anyways.
    That's absolutely ridiculous. Carpets often remain in rentals for 5+ years, if not 10 or 15. Good quality carpet will last a long time. Now, you did pay a pet deposit, which should help cover the costs. (Although, to be frank, spilled ink is likely to come out of the regular deposit, since it's not exactly "pet-related".) If there is not enough in the security deposits to cover the damages, you can be sued to cover the remainder.
    Vision Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    That's absolutely ridiculous. Carpets often remain in rentals for 5+ years, if not 10 or 15. Good quality carpet will last a long time. Now, you did pay a pet deposit, which should help cover the costs. (Although, to be frank, spilled ink is likely to come out of the regular deposit, since it's not exactly "pet-related".) If there is not enough in the security deposits to cover the damages, you can be sued to cover the remainder.
    This is a 25 year old apartment. I'm sure this carpet has been in here for a while. Although I was told by a previous apartment manager where I used to reside that most rentals in Washington get new carpets yearly. And this is not "good quality carpet" cause I'm always tripping over the lumps in it, either that or it was just not put in very well. And "spilled ink" is not the same as leaking from a broken pen, that sort of implies spilling it from a container. There are differences. I could take pictures of the stains if that would help.
    Vision Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 03:04 PM
    I also want to point out that I cannot be sued for payment unless it's a past due payment.
    PatvNunu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
    Can Pool maintenance be considered "utilities" if not specifically stated in the lease?
    The original leasing agent told me that the pool maintenance was covered under the maintenance agreement in the lease and would be covered by the owner. Now that the leasing agent I originally dealt with is gone, the new one says since its not specified in the lease that its considered "utilities". I have a witness that was present at the time the agreement was discussed and also my insurance agent discussed the matter with the original agent. The owner will pay to open/close the pool and wants me to pay her "maintenance guy" weekly to maintain the pool. I have three friends with pools who understand the chemicals and a friend who is licensed; all willing to do it for free. Since we have had several 80 degree plus days, the pool stinks and I can't sit out on the deck because of this pool.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adultery in Washington state [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a law in Washington state against adultery?

Laws on breaking a rental agreement in Washington state [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know where to find any laws on breaking a rental agreement in Washington state. I am renting now and have signed a one year lease and am buying a house both of which are in Pierce County and would like to know if there is a way to terminate the rental agreement as a result of buying the...

Roofing in Washington State [ 2 Answers ]

When re-roofing in WA state with 20 year asphalt shingles what is my roof venting requirements, where can I look that up, and what is the best way to go about installing that venting?

Laws in Washington D.C. [ 1 Answers ]

I have rented my property in Washington, DC. My tenants have failed to comply with their rental obligations for the month of July and August. Can anyone tell me is thirty days the right time frame for notice of vacating the property in DC?:confused:

Abondonment laws of Washington state [ 15 Answers ]

I need help, trying to find laws about what is abandonment, like how long is it considered abandonment. We have our granddaughter who has lived with us since she has been born and both parents have signed over their rights to us (grandparents). Since then he doesn't call or see her for up to 5 -6...

View more questions Search