Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sarah48375 Posts: 85, Reputation: 13

Mar 24, 2008, 08:25 PM
    1999 Blazer
    I am looking at a used 1999 Blazer. It has 132,000 miles on the car, but they just put an engine in it that has 70,000 miles on it. I know these facts to be true because it is my best friends parent auto shop (they are very honest people). My question is, which one is more important? I don't understand what that means, and I'd like this car to last about 5 years.

Asking price is 4750, but they said I could have it for 4500. Is that a good deal? Any advice would be great. I does drive great... if that means anything...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:35 PM
    If the tranny is good and it runs good it may be just as good as any other vehicle you might find. It is hard to say without seeing it. I have had replaced motors with no problem but you have to make sure you keep up on the maintenance and don't let the fluids get too low that will ruin a motor or tranny.

Here is the blue book value.
    Kelley Blue Book - Private Party Pricing Report - Chevrolet, Blazer

Condition Value

Excellent
    $4,855

Good
    $4,455

Fair
    $3,920

(I had to guess on the features so yours might come up different)
    Sarah48375 Posts: 85, Reputation: 13

Mar 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Thanks that was really helpful. I'll check out the site.
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Mar 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Price seems a little high considering these are supposed to be good friends. I checked Kelly Blue Book and came up with:

Excellent: $4,435
    Good: $3,965
    Fair: $3,410

NADA Blue Book (Retail Price)

High: $5,125
    Clean: $4,275
    Low: $3,200

But I had to guess at features as well and you may come up with a higher price. Most cars with that much mileage will rate as good. Excellent means like new condition. Either way it is in no way a "sweetheart deal". There is one red flag you may want to consider that would warrant you getting it evaluated by a third party mechanic. Why did the previous engine require changing at just over 130K, that seems as premature engine failure to me. Was it due to misuse or neglect such as lack of routine or even minimal maintenance. If it was it would be pretty evident that the rest of the vehicle suffered the same misuse of neglect making the tranny, drivetrain, and suspension suspect. Those engines should give well over 250K with minimal wear if properly maintained.

2 things to remember. The engine may only have 70K but the rest of the vehicle has 130K+ on it, and one of the most quick way to lose a friend is to buy a car from them. Not saying yeah or nay, just saying go into it with your eyes wide open and get an independent evaluation of the vehicle before taking the plunge.

BTW: With the price of fuel you sure you want an SUV for the next 5 years? My GMC Jimmy 4X4 is parked and I am driving a used Honda CRX I just purchased and am getting twice the gas mileage. Always a sweet ride in the Jimmy until I have to pull up to the gas pumps...

If this ANSWER helped you please rate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

99 blazer [ 1 Answers ]

99 blazer won't start all the time.

98 blazer radio [ 1 Answers ]

What calor is the rear speaker wires on a 98 blazers factorie radio harnes

Registration for '99 Chevy Blazer? [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone have an estimate of how much it would cost to register my '99 Blazer? Thank you! :D

View more questions Search