Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Alty, just by this being a issue with you, is a nice suggestion that you are a good tipper. You shouldn't let this guy get to you, he was wrong!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Thanks Starty. I did feel bad that I couldn't tip him, although after the look he gave me I actually wanted to ask for my 22 cents in change.

I hate it when I'm angry at people.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 12:49 PM
    I understand completely, you deserve the 22 cents back, just to make it a point! I understand.
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Exactly! It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing.

Honestly, I'm not a cheapskate. In fact, when I told my husband about it he was livid. We usually get the two pizza deal, buy one get one free, and the total usually comes out to around $27.00 never more than $35.00 and hubby and I usually tip around $8.00. Hubby can't believe that the guy was so rude. He actually wanted to call the pizza place and complain, but I told him not to cause trouble for the guy. He and I will have a chat next time we order pizza.
    phauxquota Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 10:50 PM
    Pizza drivers get the delivery charge, or part of it, for their gas/repairs on their car. They are not paid for their car usage and wear. They are paid minimum wage and only get very little hours a week is why they almost survive only on tips. He made a scene with you right there? He must be mad at his luck for the night. I once delivered in an majority black town, it was so bad that they gave us change dispensers from all the blacks wanting exact change back. Tipping isn't mandatory for pizza guys, but if you can't afford to tip, I would go pick it up myself. Pizza drivers have your name and address, and some will mess with your pizza if you stiff them and reorder a next time.
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 10:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phauxquota View Post
    Pizza drivers get the delivery charge, or part of it, for their gas/repairs on their car. They are not paid for their car usage and wear. They are paid minimum wage and only get very little hours a week is why they almost survive only on tips. He made a scene with you right there? He must be mad at his luck for the night. I once delivered in an majority black town, it was so bad that they gave us change dispensers from all the blacks wanting exact change back. Tipping isn't mandatory for pizza guys, but if you can't afford to tip, I would go pick it up myself. Pizza drivers have your name and address, and some will mess with your pizza if you stiff them and reorder a next time.
    I had completely forgotten about this thread, it was started in 2008! :eek:

The pizza drivers here are paid a decent wage. I live in Canada, it's far different from the States. Most pizza places right now start their drivers off at $11/hour full time plus their tips. Trust me, they're making better money then I am with a college degree.

Feb 18, 2010, 11:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I had completely forgotten about this thread, it was started in 2008! :eek:

The pizza drivers here are paid a decent wage. I live in Canada, it's far different from the States. Most pizza places right now start their drivers off at $11/hour full time plus their tips. Trust me, they're making better money then I am with a college degree.
    $11 an hour eh? Nice. I have thought about moving to Canada. (Not as a pizza boy though). Yeah old thread. I just came across it from Google and decided to throw in my 2 cents worth. I joined the forum just now. I made $6 an hour as a pizza delivery driver and closer. I made tons of tips and didn't cry if someone didn't tip me. One week I made $600 in tips alone. Average tips ran about $200 a week. It was a decent living for someone who didn't have any bills.
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 11:07 PM
    $11 an hour eh? Nice. I have thought about moving to Canada. (Not as a pizza boy though). Yeah old thread. I just came across it from Google and decided to throw in my 2 cents worth. I joined the forum just now. I made $6 an hour as a pizza delivery driver and closer. I made tons of tips and didn't cry if someone didn't tip me. One week I made $600 in tips alone. Average tips ran about $200 a week. It was a decent living for someone who didn't have any bills.
    I've often thought of doing pizza delivery, like I said, they get paid better then I usually do and I have a college degree and many years of experience. The thing is, my van is a gas guzzler and I'd probably spend all the money just filling the beast up. ;)

A friend of mine quit her high end job to do pizza delivery, with tips she's making 3 times as much as she made in an office working 60 hours a week. She now works 30. Ya, something to look into. Maybe I can buy an old beater that's good on gas.

Canada is a wonderful country, of course I say that because I live here. ;)

Welcome to the site.

Feb 18, 2010, 11:27 PM
    Isn't college free in Canada? If so maybe go back for a different career? I'm getting myself deep in debt going to college at the moment. After I get my Bachelor's, I'm looking at about $70,000 I will owe to the U.S. for my education. I am told average starting salary at what I will be doing is in the 50k range. Let's hope so.

Don't sink money into a car until it is what you desire to keep doing. Pizza delivery is not for everyone. I wouldn't want to do it in winter, or rather, the snowy days. The $3 charge would cover your gas guzzling. I assume they give that to the driver. I only got about 75 cents a delivery back when our gas went up to $3 a gallon after Katrina.
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 11:34 PM
    Isn't college free in Canada? If so maybe go back for a different career? I'm getting myself deep in debt going to college at the moment. After I get my Bachelor's, I'm looking at about $70,000 I will owe to the U.S. for my education. I am told average starting salary at what I will be doing is in the 50k range. Let's hope so.

Don't sink money into a car until it is what you desire to keep doing. Pizza delivery is not for everyone. I wouldn't want to do it in winter, or rather, the snowy days. The $3 charge would cover your gas guzzling. I assume they give that to the driver. I only got about 75 cents a delivery back when our gas went up to $3 a gallon after Katrina.
    Where did you hear that college is free? I wish! I paid over $10,000 for college. Of course that was a very long time ago. No, I'm not telling you how long. ;)

Right now gas is at 86.6 cents a litre, I have no idea how to convert that into US dollars and gallons. So much for college. ;)

I doubt I'd like pizza delivery, I only enjoy driving when I'm going somewhere I want to go, but the money is good and I could do it for a while, save, maybe buy some new shoes, or a hat. :p

Your college education will pay off in the end. I know the debt is scary, but you'll be fine. Stick to it, you'll be happy in the end. :)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2010, 12:33 AM

My brother used to do it and it was royal wear and tear on his car. You'd definitely want an older car, as long as it was still running well enough. Certainly wouldn't be worth it for a newer car. But he did make good money and that's in the States. On the other hand, he worked at a good location that was near a college campus.

Don't know exactly what a liter is, but close to a quart, so around $3.50 a gallon. And Canadian and U.S. dollar have been running close for a while, so you can relate that pretty close. Around my area it's running about a buck cheaper than that, but I know we're not the highest place in the country.

And I learned none of that in college. I don't think I ever "officially" learned any of that. Just too much hanging around online I guess.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2010, 03:09 PM
    Old thread that is now archived, so not generally visible to everyone.

Sufficient enough answers have been given.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When can I stop mandatory IRA withdrawals [ 1 Answers ]

My birthdate is 07/08/48 I will be 59 1/2 on 01/08/08. I started withdrawals from my rollover IRA using one of the IRS substantial equal payment rules. My first annual withdrawl was made on 07/02/03 & my 5th was made on 01/06/07. I know by IRS ruling that I cannot make unlimited withdrawals until 1...

Is child support mandatory? [ 1 Answers ]

When seeking a divorce, do you have to ask for child support or are you able to waive your right to support? My husband and I are disagreeing about this issue. He has custody of his 8 year old son, in his divorce papers it states that his ex is to pay $100 a month in support which she has not...

401 k mandatory withdrawel [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I find and what's the formula that determines how much I have to withdraw FROM MY 401k now that I'm 70 1/2 years old? Rich Parry

Non mandatory sentence [ 1 Answers ]

My Husband has caught his second drug case, and he has a state parole violation and that is a year. Ok now he go 1 1/2 to 4 for his new case. Now his attorney told us that if he does at least 3 to 6 months of his new case he would be able to get prerelease is that true? His sentencing is non...

View more questions Search