Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smithjtdkb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Gas Fireplace cuts out for no apparent reason
    I have a gas fireplace manufactured by Superior. It is model DS-36TN. The unit was in the house when I bought the place in 2002 and worked fine for the past several years.

About 2 months ago it started cutting out after being on for anywhere between 20 min and 1 1/2 hrs. I always turn the wall switch to the off position when it cuts out, sometimes it will come back on if I attempt it a short time later, other times the pilot light has gone out and requires relighting. There is no external electrical power that goes to the unit through the switch, the switch only controls the gas valve open signal from the thermocouple voltage (I think).

Please help

Jeff
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Could be a plugged pilot orifice. It could have some debris in it.
    Make sure the pilot height is correct especially the area where it is supposed to contact the thermocouple.
    Could be the high limit safety control. (check the flue exhaust for obstruction)
    Check air intake if it is a concentric air and flue combo.
    It could be the gas valve but I would check all other items first before replacing. Hopefully someone left the book for the fireplace if not you may need to obtain one to find out the location of the parts to test.

Now it could also be ventless and if it is I suggest professional repair. There is a oxygen depletion sensor as a life safety device and that needs to be tested when serviced. LOOK at there web site below.

Fireplaces and Stoves by Superior
    sidepork Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Jeff, did you ever find out what the problem is? I have the same fireplace with the same problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does gas emit in the house when pilot light of gas fireplace goes out? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas fireplace and on a windy day the pilot light actually went out. My dad said that even though the pilot light isn't on it's emitting gas into the house- which is a health hazard, but I thought that as long as the switch that turns on the light is off there is no risk. Can anyone tell me...

No gas supply, or faulty valve in gas fireplace? [ 4 Answers ]

We use a regency Gr55-3 ~20,000btu gas fireplace for heating our bedroom. Its about 10 years old and has given us no trouble before. The gas supply line is a small (3/8"?) flexible copper tube that runs about 40' from a prv. I believe the prv lets pressure down from 2psi to a few inches of...

1988 honda civic stops running for no apparent reason [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1988 honda civic. Problem with driving along, everything fine, and all of a sudden the car just shuts off - you accelerate and nothing happens, since it is no longer running. Then you have to sit for a while before it will start up again. What could be the problem??

Computer rebooting for no apparent reason! [ 2 Answers ]

I looked around the forum and found a lot of people have had this problem, but none that matched mine... Anyway,mine started 2 days ago when the first random reboot happened after I opened up a little program to check the cpu core temperature (coretemp.exe). I've been using it for a week and...

Gas Piping Question about gas fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm not sure whether to ask this question in the heating forum or here, but it seems to be more a piping question. I am installing a gas fireplace. I got it used, and pieced it together from two sources, meaning I'm needing to change a few things. The burner I got was configured...

View more questions Search