Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Want2Lrn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Voice Message Etiquette
    I hate retrieving messages from my voice mail! As such, I tend to let them build up and am not quick to return calls. Would it be poor etiquette if I requested callers send me an email if I am not available to answer my phone? I would be able to respond in a more timely manner if they did. :confused:
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 12:21 PM
    I don't see why not, except that some people may not have email and phone is their only means of contact..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Not at all. You might add something like this to your outgoing message:

I am not available to answer the phone right now. The best way to contact me is via e-mail to [email protected], ro you can leave a message at the tone and I will return your call has soon as I get it.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Well, it wouldn't be if you suggested that they e-mail you and leave a message. Promptly, answering voicemails are important and its is poor business practice to even allow them to build up. Stop playing on the internet and get back to work. Joking :)
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Ohhh if it is business contacts, you really should just return the calls, personal contacts may feel comfortable enough to email your personal email..
    Linda Griffin Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

May 1, 2008, 08:56 AM
    I like ScottGem's answer. I would modify it slightly: In your outgoing message, give the caller a time frame of when they can expect a call-back. For example, "I'll return messages within 8 hours". Pick a time frame that you can commit to and stick to it. It's better to say you will return calls in 24 hours and do it, than commit to a lesser time and not do it. Since you don't like to retrieve messages, I would recommend that you schedule a time to listen to your messages each day. Perhaps twice a day - first thing in the morning and after lunch. That way you take the pressure off yourself but can still be responsive to your clients.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Answering your voice mail is a basic expectation in any job. It should be done at least daily and depending on your job, possibly more often. Unless you own the company and can get rid of having voicemail, you need to get over your dislike for it and just improve your habits. You abhore the tool, but what you're doing is avoiding people who need your assistance and involvement in day to day business. I don't know whether you are avoiding customers, vendors, colleagues, subordinates or bosses, but whomever they are, they will start complaining about you if they haven't already.

You can certainly advise your colleagues that you preffer email and offer your email address on your phone message to reduce the voicemails, but you still need to be in the habit of picking up and responding to those messages at least once, if not two or three times, every business day. Not to be harsh, but I'd hate to see you be badly reviewed or even fired for not doing this - you won't find the expectation any different most places you could work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 11:16 AM
    I don't believe the early posters notices this was in a "office" thread so this is a business telephone by the place you started the thread.

If this was a personal home phone or personal cell phone I see no problem.

If on the other hand this is a business phone, you need to change your personal habits, you need to start checking the business email on a regular basis, several times during the work day, and call the people back as proper. Being lazy about doing proper business work is never right
    Briarose Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2008, 12:48 AM
    I work in a university, and I've heard professors' voicemails where they state that the best way to reach them is by email. Some voicemail boxes don't even allow you to leave a voicemail... but I wouldn't suggest going that far.

I guess it depends on your line of work. For people who travel frequently (or are in and out of the office), they generally won't be able to check voicemail regularly but might be able to get email more quickly. I'm an office type (don't travel) but I'm much more apt to respond to email quickly than I will in returning phone calls (though I usually do within a few hours).

I guess it might also depend on the type of people/clients who contact you - do most of them have email? Or is it primarily a phone-based interaction?

But yeah, I don't see a problem with stating your preference in your voicemail greeting. If I need information from you, and you state that the best (or quickest) way to get in touch with you is by email, you can bet I will be sending you an email rather than leaving a voicemail!

(I totally agree with you about voicemail - I don't like answering them, particularly when the caller just says "Briarose, this is Caller. Can you call me back?" At least tell me what it's regarding - otherwise, it will go on my to do list to take care of later when I have free time).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie voice [ 2 Answers ]

I would love to do a voice of a character for a movie or a TV show I live in australia how would I get into that?

Voice over [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know I good place to study VoiceOver in NYC?

---masculine voice----- [ 3 Answers ]

From adirup, I want my voice to sound really husky.I mean I want a very masculine voice... you know a voice that is very testosterone driven.. really cocky. What should I do ? (cos I'm a little dissatisfied with my voice) (PS:Please don't advice me to smoke cigarettes,consume alcohol...

View more questions Search