Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XxhannahxX Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 11:24 AM
    How do you act love?
    Hiya,
    I'm in a first World War play playing the wife of a solider and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for acting in love. I'm finding it really difficult particularly in the scene where I have to wave him off to war. Any advice would be much appreciated as the play is next week!
    Thanks.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 25, 2008, 02:47 AM
    I'm not an actor but used to dream of it when I was younger. :rolleyes:
    You could try watching a few war romance movies or read up on some stories that pull at your heart strings. When it comes time for the scene of waving goodbye, try to think of the pain and longing these characters must have felt and try to let go of any self consciousness.
    Maybe practice at home or in front of someone (who you know won't giggle) to get used to the feeling of being looked at. In front of a mirror may help so you can practice with different expressions to see what works.
    These are just ideas that I would try out if I were in the same boat. Break a leg! ;)
    compass dream Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Well my teacher always said you can't act love or crazy. You have to feel it. Embrace your character. Become them. Dig deep and bring up the feeling love for real. If you act it looks fake.

Things to think about- Who is your character? Where is she coming from in the scene? Who is the person you love? Why do you love them? Why are you sad that he is leaving? Think of some other questions you can ask yourself to bring the feelings out. You can think of people in your life or situations that can help you get into the feelings. Also research the part a bit. Find articles or web sites where women talk about how they lost their loved ones in war and how it has affected them. Then think about that when you see him go off.

You talked about having to wave him goodbye when he goes off to war. Become your character and think how she would. She is very sad to see her sweety leave. He could die. She may never see him again. He completes her so him leaving is like part of her missing. If he dies its like part of her dies. Do you have children? If yes then he might not be there for his children. That's horrible. If no then you might not get a chance to have kids with him. You always wanted a family with him but now you if he dies you cant.

I hope all that helped and I just wasn't blabbin. Sorry its so much but I don't think people realize it takes so much to portray another person. The main thing is don't act become. Become your character and really feel the feelings. Look at the late Heath Ledger, he became the character Joker and felt those feelings and it affected his personal life. That's what it takes to be a great actor. Don't act.

Mar 27, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Thank you, that was very helpful. I think you're right, I've been thinking about it in the wrong way. Thanks again.
    compass dream Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XxhannahxX
    hiya,
    I'm in a first World War play playing the wife of a solider and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for acting in love. I'm finding it really difficult particularly in the scene where I have to wave him off to war. Any advice would be much appreciated as the play is next week!
    Thanks.
    How did it go? You already go through with it

Mar 30, 2008, 04:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by compass dream
    how did it go? you already go through with it
    Yeah I've done it (relief! ). I was much better than I'd been in rehearsals, Thank you so much for your help it really changed my whole performance. The performance on the whole was better because the person acting opposite me found it easier once I could do it.
    Thanks again!
    mosag330 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Mar 2, 2009, 03:37 PM
    I hope you had a great time with your performance. I'm sorry I missed the thread back in the pre-stage day. Still, I have something to say for any other actors who have similar questions:

To be "in love" is a condition. You do not act conditions, you DO ACTIONS. Actors don't pretend. Actors do. A real actor needs to tell the truth through their actions. There is no need to imitate things you've seen or anything else if you are doing your action. Anything else is lying, and it makes for a very flat performance.

For example: You do not act "angry"-- you Intimidate. You Provoke. You Reject. You Eviscerate. You Belittle.
    You do not act "in love"-- you Adore. You Worship. You Comfort. You Praise. You Protect. You Excite. You Seduce. You Flirt. You Calm.

In order to make sure your action is appropriate and working towards your performance, you need to be very clear about your Objective-- this is the responsibility of the director. Talk to the director if you think there is something off, and they will help you work on sharpening your objective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does he act like this? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm really frustrated and it would really help if you answered this question. OK so I've liked this guy for a really long time and he knows I like him. his friends are all mean and when they are being mean to me or my friends the guy I like is always like. Just standing there, saying nothing,...

Why does she act like this? [ 6 Answers ]

I got involved with a co-worker who had a boyfriend. She was unhappy with him and we started hanging out, as friends at first, but then it progressed to more. She broke up with him because she was unhappy, but now they're reconciling, or at least I think. I'm pissed off because I feel like she...

Should I act better [ 5 Answers ]

Well I'm going into the 8th grade and in 7th grade I was really bad like got into fights yelled at teachers but sense I'm going into the 8th should I act better

How Would You Act? [ 9 Answers ]

Everyone here knows how confusing relationships and breaking up can be. I am really in love with this guy. I broke up with him 4 months ago, due to the distance between us.. In 4 weeks or less Ill see him again cause Im going to study in his country.. He's going to pick me up at the airport...

What should I do? How should I act? [ 21 Answers ]

Hello, all. I am new here and I hope to get some insight from you all about my situation. It might be kind of long, so please bear with me! I have a good online friend who I have been chatting online/emailing with for 5 years or so. Over the years, we've talked a lot about each other,...

View more questions Search