Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1464 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Fixing Garage Floor with cracks
    I would like to fill cracks in my Garage Floor but they
    Are about 2-3" wide and about that deep. What Can I
    Use to fill and then to seal and paint the garage floor?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 24, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Those are some big cracks, is the floor heaving underneath? I would investigate why the floor is cracking before you repair so your not re-repairing it in a few years. For a crack that large you should probably use concrete to fill them. There are a lot of garage floor paints, epoxy paints are best for this.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 01:44 PM
    This is a very bad signal of movement and horrendous settling. The crack will likely continue to grow so you must find out what is wrong before you consider patching anything. If the crack is 3" on the surface and then narrows to almost nothing 3" down that is a sign of the perimeter foundation settling more than the center of the floor.
    art in mich Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Call an epoxy floor contractor. I install epoxy floors in Michigan and they are difficult to apply for the average homeowner. The floor should be scarified prior to applying the epoxy. Many companies etch with muriatic acid instead of scarifying or shot blasting, but in a garage (heavy use area) etching is not as effective. The epoxy can be mixed with cabosil (powdered fiberglass) or other high build aggregate which turns it from "paint" to "putty" to fill your cracks. I use Florock by Crawford Labs 100% solids epoxy. It works great and lasts forever if you do it right--or at least 10 years because that's how long I've been doing it. It's kind of expensive (about a $1000 job plus a couple hundred more potentially for the crack repair for a 2.5 car garage--usually about 22x20) until you compare it to the cost of a new floor. The cracks can take a lot of material to fill depending on size. I'd be happy to lay out the entire process if you are interested. Don't use floor paint in the garage!! It will peel up in a couple months or sooner, especially where your tires are. Hot Tire Pickup-- When you drive on the hot asphalt roads and then pull in the garage and plant all that weight in the same spot every day your tires will stick to the paint and pull it up when you back out. 2 coats of 100% solids epoxy (done correctly) is the only thing that works in a garage. Sherwin Williams Armorseal is another brand that is readily available. Make sure you know what you are doing if you are going to try to tackle this yourself. The 100% solids epoxy has about a 40 minute potlife so you have to get it out of the bucket immediately after mixing it. You pour it into a pile on the floor, squeegee it and then roll it with a high quality roller cover with a solvent resistant core.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing cracks and painting concrete garage floor [ 3 Answers ]

My garage floor was painted when I moved in and the house was new. I'm selling the home now so I am filling the cracks on the garage floor and after it's patched I will repaint it. I am using a scraping tool and removing the paint from each side of the crack before I repair it as I think that's...

Fixing a 'spongy' floor joist [ 5 Answers ]

My floor joists are 2 x 10's spaced 16". The span is 14 feet. The joists, sill plates, beam, piers and block wall all appear to be in good condition. The crawlspace is bone dry and has been for the 4 years I have lived here. Here's my problem/question: I just got a new wall-sized entertainment...

Fixing cracks in shower tile grout [ 1 Answers ]

I have some small cracks in a few (no more than 3-4) spots in the tile of my shower. It's an area where water will hit when showering quite frequently. Is it possible to patch these cracks or do I have to rip out all the grout and re-grout? We're going to redo the whole bathroom within the year...

Cracks in Garage [ 2 Answers ]

My apologies, the original message was not very helpful. After heavy rainfall, we noticed approximately 1/8" cracks in the floor of the garage. These radiating out from a point near the front center of the garage (away from where cars are parked) and extend to each wall. The cracks appear to be...

View more questions Search