Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luk_077 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Stones on a railway track
    What is the purpose of the large numerous stones all along on either side of a railway track, especially seen in india
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Mar 24, 2008, 01:52 PM
    The wood or concrete beams beneath the rails are called ties or cross ties. If you are referring to the stones in and around the ties, the stones are called ballast. There are enough air spaces around the individual pieces of ballast to allow rain and/or snow melt to drain away without eroding the ballast away.

I suppose there might be some places where larger stones might be placed next to the tracks as navigational markers where locomotive operators need to sound the horn in order to warn people crossing the tracks, apply brakes or perform other actions related to moving freight or passengers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Track Lighting: 6 pendant lights/4 sections of track 2 lights not working? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Here is the situation. Two light bulbs blew. Our handy man told us that when you replace the bulbs 12v that you can not touch them or they will keep blowing. So we used gloves and changed the two blown bulbs. Voilą! Light. About 3 days later the first one blew again and then the...

Kidney stones [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am a 56 year old male I have crohns disease and a permanent ileostomy since 2000 I have now been told I have a kidney stone and need to have surgery to remove it, cannot be blasted. What risks are involved with this operation is it life threatening, and what are the chances of catching...

Cutting Track Lighting track [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know why Hampton Bay track states that you cannot cut the track? Every other brand allows track to be cut to the needed length and Hampton Bay is worthless to me if I can't cut it.

What is stones in pounds [ 1 Answers ]

What is 10 stone in pounds?

View more questions Search