Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Mar 24, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Probate/Estate
    If a beneficiuary refuses to sign the final accounting for an estate then does it go in front of the probate judge?

Mar 24, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    But its the responsibility of the executor to find and pay any debts. If the executor doesn't do so, they can be sued for failing their fiduciary responsibility.
    How does one sue the executor for failing to handle the estate properly?

Does the probate judge handle this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotta
    How does one sue the executor for failing to handle the estate properly? Does the probate judge handle this?
    Hello Lotta:

One hires an attorney. If you're a party to the proceedings, the judge won't talk to you.

excon

PS> You also should start your own thread. You'll get more action that way. Maybe it'll be moved by a moderator.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 07:10 AM
    How does one sue the executor for failing to handle the estate properly?

Does the probate judge handle this?

I don't understand the original question - the holder of the mortgage doesn't have to file a lien. The loan stands, to be paid by the estate, as a debt of the decedent. The fact that a person dies does not retire/end the debt.

Anyway - if the executor (and I believe it's your husband) handles the estate improperly in my area you have to first file a complaint with the probate court and then proceed from there.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Hello again, Lotta:

You're going to have to go into more detail than that. These decisions are not made of context.

Signing an accounting has no legal meaning. I don't know what that means. Do you think it means that if you sign it, you AGREE with it??

Let me say it again, Lotta. If you think you're being cheated, or if you think somebody is acting unfairly, or if there is a large estate under consideration, you need a lawyer to represent you. You can't do it yourself. Once you're cheated and the money is gone there ain't much you can do about it THEN. There might be something you can do about it NOW.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2008, 07:32 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread. I've also merged your threads for continuity. Please reply to this thread for any follow-up.

As noted you can start with a complaint with the probate court. If that doesn't do anything get a lawyer and sue.

I also agree with excon here in that we need more info. If a beneficiary refuse to accept the final accounting, then it might be necessary to get a probate judge to approve it. But without knowing what's really going on here, its hard to advise.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 07:32 AM
    I believe it would after a point. Disagreements can be resolved in a variety of ways such as mediation or lawsuits that would delay the process. Eventually a lawsuit would settle the disagreement.

There is also a statute of limitations for which lawsuits or objections can be filed. Once that is past, the probate judge would oversee the process.

Having the papers signed is generally believed to speed up the process through indication that there are no disputes. Not signing might delay the process but will not stop in permanently.

Mar 24, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, Lotta:

You're going to have to go into more detail than that.

Signing an accounting has no legal meaning. I dunno what that means. Do you think it means that if you sign it, you AGREE with it??????

Let me say it again, Lotta. If you think you're being cheated, or if you think somebody is acting unfairly, or if there is a large estate under consideration, you need a lawyer to represent you. You can't do it yourself. Once you're cheated and the money is gone there ain't much you can do about it THEN. There might be something you can do about it NOW.

excon
    There is money not showing up in the final accounting for an estate.
    The attorney and executor wants the beneficuary to sign the final accounting but the beneficiuary will not sign it until all monies are accouted for.

Will this go in front of a probate judge to force the attorney and executor to show were the money went?

Mar 24, 2008, 07:54 AM
    First, was the will and estate probated? Second, how does the beneficiary know money hasn't been accounted for? Third, what is the executor's explanation?

Mar 24, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    First, was the will and estate probated? Second, how does the beneficiary know money hasn't been accounted for? Third, what is the executor's explanation?
    1) I believe that the will was probated. How would one find out?

2) The records showing the money coming in/going out has many errors and the numbers do not correspond.

3)The attorney and executor will not answer the beneficuaries questions pertaining to the "lost" money.

Will the attorney and executor have to answer the flawed accounting questions before the probate judge?

The paperwork indicates that the executor is "bonded". What does that mean?
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Hello again, Lotta:

I'll give it another shot because you've been around here for a while. You have serious issues. These issues CANNOT be solved on the internet.

EVEN if we told you that you are being cheated, what the HELL are you going to do about it??

Without a lawyer, you can't do ANYTHING. This lawyer who isn't cooperating with you, isn't all of a sudden going to lay down for you because you told him you found out stuff on the internet...

If you are truly interested in DOING something about it, instead of just wasting time, you'll hire a lawyer.

I'm done.

excon

Mar 24, 2008, 08:16 AM
    1) Check with the local probate court for a filing

2) Don't correspond with what? You need to have proof to challenge the accounting

3) the benficiary needs to get an independent accountant to go over the accounting. Then hire an attorney to challenge the accounting in probate court.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:21 AM
    1) I believe that the will was probated. How would one find out?

2) The records showing the money coming in/going out has many errors and the numbers do not correspond.

3)The attorney and executor will not answer the beneficuaries questions pertaining to the "lost" money.

Something is either left out or not understood.

If there is an Executor either the Will was probated or there was no Will and somebody applied to be appointed Executor and was appointed. There is an Executor - something went to Probate.

The final accounting is the same as balancing a checking account statement - X$ to start with, X$ in, X$ out, X$ balance. The Probate Judge/Surrogate's Court Judge - actually one of his Clerks - has a legal responsibility to review and approve the accounting before final filing. Has this been done? How far off are the numbers?

Is the Attorney you are talking about the Estate Attorney? The Probate Court's Attorney? The Executor's Attorney? Your Attorney?

I would "assume" you are the beneficiary - are you entitled to a percentage? A specific bequest? Depending on the bequest you may not be entitled to question the accounting. For example, if you are to receive $10,000 you are not entitled to information on the rest of the estate; if you are entitled to receive a percentage, then you are entitled.

I've seen probate courts be very willing to discuss estate papers with anyone who asks; I've seen Executors request that only the necessary information be given out and I've seen the court agree.

A lot depends on your State.

Mar 24, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, Lotta:

I'll give it another shot because you've been around here for a while. You have serious issues. These issues CANNOT be solved on the internet.

EVEN if we told you that you are being cheated, what the HELL are you gonna do about it?????

Without a lawyer, you can't do ANYTHING. This lawyer who isn't cooperating with you, isn't all of a sudden going to lay down for you because you told him you found out stuff on the internet......

If you are truly interested in DOING something about it, instead of just wasting time, you'll hire a lawyer.

I'm done.

excon
    What would be the purpose of the probate court and probate judge?

Just wondered if not signing the final accounting shows to the probate judge that there are errors that not to be addressed.

Mar 24, 2008, 08:25 AM
    I suspect your response and Judy's crossed paths, so I would review her response. The purpose of probate is to ensure that the estate has been disposed of according to the laws of the state.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:25 AM
    What would be the purpose of the probate court and probate judge?

Just wondered if not signing the final accounting shows to the probate judge that there are errors that not to be addressed.

The probate court/probate judge oversee estates, makes sure they are settled in accordance with Wills and/or the law.

Probate reviews ALL the documents before an estate is settled/closed.

A beneficiary not signing the final accounting usually indicates there is bad blood, nothing more and nothing less. Obvious errors are caught by the Court; in theory, ALL errors are caught by the Court.

Again, to get a more specific opinion - what is your interest in the estate?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Not signing alone will not tell the judge any reason that you are not signing. You'd have to file a complaint stating the reasons.

Sounds like you need your own attorney to represent you.

Mar 24, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Something is either left out or not understood.

If there is an Executor either the Will was probated or there was no Will and somebody applied to be appointed Executor and was appointed. There is an Executor - something went to Probate.

The final accounting is the same as balancing a checking account statement - X$ to start with, X$ in, X$ out, X$ balance. The Probate Judge/Surrogate's Court Judge - actually one of his Clerks - has a legal responsibility to review and approve the accounting before final filing. Has this been done? How far off are the numbers?

Is the Attorney you are talking about the Estate Attorney? The Probate Court's Attorney? The Executor's Attorney? Your Attorney?

I would "assume" you are the beneficiary - are you entitled to a percentage? A specific bequest? Depending on the bequest you may not be entitled to question the accounting. For example, if you are to receive $10,000 you are not entitled to information on the rest of the estate; if you are entitled to receive a percentage, then you are entitled.

I've seen probate courts be very willing to discuss estate papers with anyone who asks; I've seen Executors request that only the necessary information be given out and I've seen the court agree.

A lot depends on your State.
    There is a will.

The accounting is poor. For example, there are blank spaces on the accounting that do not indicate where money was paid to or the reason. The information regarding the funds is limited. Comingled funds, not properly documented amounts being paid out, bills not being paid, taxes not being paid even though there was a surplus of funds to pay the bills as money was coming into the estate monthly...

The number are off around $xx,xxx.

The attorney is the estates attorney (also should represent the beneficiuary of the estate one would think?)

The beneficuary is entitled to 1/3 of the assets of the estate.

Thanks to all for your replies.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:52 AM
    There is a will.

The accounting is poor. For example, there are blank spaces on the accounting that do not indicate where money was paid to or the reason. The information regarding the funds is limited. Comingled funds, not properly documented amounts being paid out, bills not being paid, taxes not being paid even though there was a surplus of funds to pay the bills as money was coming into the estate monthly...

The number are off around $xx,xxx.

The attorney is the estates attorney (also should represent the beneficiuary of the estate one would think?)

The beneficuary is entitled to 1/3 of the assets of the estate.

No, the Attorney represents the Estate, the Executor, not the beneficiary - the Executor is the one who picks the Attorney. Lots of people make that mistake.

How and when the bills are paid is not a decision of the beneficiaries - it is the decision of the Executor based on those bills, the assets, proper and appropriate timing.

I don't understand the co-mingled funds question - how do you comingle estate funds?

Anyway - before this turns into a blog I think you (as beneficiary) need to retain an Attorney and let him/her go from there. I think that was my very first advice to you and it's my current advice to you.

And if you are wrong be prepared for the Estate's Attorney's fees to cut into your 1/3 because explaining to you and/or your Attorney takes time, time is money, the Attorney is entitled to be paid. For that matter if you are right, the Attorney's fees come out of the estate.

Mar 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
    What does it mean when the executor is bonded?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probate And The Executor of an Estate [ 4 Answers ]

My deceased husband appointed his daughter executor of his estate, which consisted of property, as well as insurance policies designating me as beneficiary. Also, there was a trust fund that was due me at my attainment of a certain age. I relinquished all policies and documentation to my deceased...

Probate of Real estate [ 4 Answers ]

When my Mother in law passed away, my husband, her son was Executor of her estate. We went to an attorney and had her will probated. When a will is probated the creditor has 6 months to place a lien against her estate for any debt owed. We had 1 lien placed. However, her mortgage company did...

Probate real estate [ 0 Answers ]

My mother inherited a house in Michigan where she had never resided , having lived for the last 15 years in Arizona. She died a year later before the executor-lawyer transferred the deed over to her name. Is in the event of death of benifiary before title conveyed from previous estate does title...

View more questions Search