Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 05:40 AM
    When should we lock in the rate?
    Hi and I thank you in advance :)

Hubby and I took out a home equity loan - and wanted to lock in the rate a couple of weeks back... but they lady at the bank said to wait it should be going even lower.

I'm getting nervous - but should we still wait :confused:

Thank again,
    Allheart
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Just saw this was bumped up.

If you think you are getting a decent rate (and these rates are great historically) and its financially responsible for you to take on this debt, id just do it. Sure, the rates might get cut again, but man... if the money is there now and the money is really cheap, and you can take on this debt without straining your finances, why go mad?

Some banks are starting to limit lines of credit to small businesses... if a further credit crunch is coming, it might be better to get it and do the work now.

Rates dropped some after my last home buy, but I didn't lose a wink of sleep over it. Lock, load, go.
    Brownie Girl Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 09:07 AM
    If it's a true home equity line of credit that you can draw and payback over and over the rate will flucuate with prime as it changes by the Federal Reserve so it shouldn't matter what the rate is now. As for when to lock if your loan is a fixed rate that will be over the life of the loan you need to make your own decision and not rely on the loan officer. You can watch the market and typically the 1st Tues. of every month is when the Federal Reserve meets to review short term lending rates (rates used overnight between banks) and if they lower it, it sometimes can have a positive effect on the interest rates (which are determined by the buying and selling of mortgage backed bonds). Whatever you do, do it and don't look back as you can never time the market perfectly but once you are comfortable do it and get a lock in agreement so you know the loan officer is floating you to benefit her on the commission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas prices - Lock into a fixed rate or not? [ 2 Answers ]

My contract is up and the lowest 5 yr rate is 33.8 cents. Currently my local gas supplier is at a rate of 27 cents. (which changes every 3 months) Not sure if I should lock in at 33.8 cents or not. Does anyone know what the future prices might be? I read that prices will increase 6% per year....

Average rate of return, net present value, internal rate of return, & payback period [ 3 Answers ]

CAM Company is evaluating a project requiring a capital expenditure of $619,200. The project has an estimated life of four years and no salvage value. The estimated net income and net cash flow from the project are as follows: Year Net Income ...

Air lock or hammer lock [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how I can rememdy hammer lock or airlock? I think that is what it is. I just bought this house that has been sitting for 3 months unoccuppied. I connected my washer and when the washer starts to cycle by pulling water to the unit, I hear this bang evertime it purges water. ...

Direct-cost rate, Indirect Cost rate [ 1 Answers ]

Budget 2007 Pro labor compensation $960,000 Audit support department cost $720,000 Pro Labor-hours billed to clients 16,000 hours Actual Results 2007 Audit support department costs $744,000 Pro labor-hours billied to clients 15,500 hours Actual pro labor cost rate $58

View more questions Search