Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LifePaparazzi Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 24, 2008, 01:24 AM
    If "Faith without works is dead" What do you consider works?
    We have all heard the biblical quote of "Faith without works is dead". So, what then exactly are these works?

Many people say that simply beign a good Christian and regularly gong to church are works. But how can that be works? How can sitting in church each week and being a good person be considered works? :confused:

Your feedback please :cool:
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 01:30 AM
    Hi again Life.

I take that to mean, drying the tears, clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, giving to the poor, loving our neighbors, and sharing God's love.

I would think those would be works.
    marvin_082500 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0
    -

Mar 24, 2008, 02:22 AM
    It's a works with LOVE
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 24, 2008, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LifePaparazzi
    We have all heard the biblical quote of "Faith without works is dead". So, what then exactly are these works? Many people say that simply beign a good Christian and regularly gong to church are works. But how can that be works? How can sitting in church each week and being a good person be considered works? :confused: Your feedback please :cool:
    I understand that to mean : LIVING ACCORDINGLY TO THE TEACHINGS OF THAT SAME FAITH.
    So placing love above hatred, forgiveness above revenge, good works above selfish enrichment and own interests, etc.
    Millions upon millions sit every Sunday in their churches, while the poor of this world die from starvation, hundreds of innocent victims die from US bullets out of US guns activated by US fingers, the world economy (i.e. our own interests) goes before that of the needed in the third world, and through selfish pollution the earth and nature go through very hard times that let harvests fail, seawater level rise, and threathens the most feeble on a worldwide scale.
    And US Americans have front seats in that hypocrite spectacle. They show "faith without the works". Their "faith works" seem as dead as the legendary Dodo!
    Of course other countries also contribute to these effects, but nowhere else the world population is making such a joke of their faith by failing to accompany it with "the works".
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 03:49 AM
    "Works", in my opinion, is almost anything but thought. The New testament is full of telling us what to do and how to act. All of that is works.

Turning the other cheek, speaking kindly to those who persecute us, feeding the poor, clothing the naked...

Works is (one sort of) evidence of Faith. If there is no evidence, then the Faith is dead.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    "Works", in my opinion, is almost anything but thought. The New testament is full of telling us what to do and how to act. All of that is works.

Turning the other cheek, speaking kindly to those who persecute us, feeding the poor, clothing the naked...

Works is (one sort of) evidence of Faith. If there is no evidence, then the Faith is dead.
    So basically, just be a shining example of God's love? In words, actions and thoughts?
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 04:18 AM
    LOL Now you know what the poor nuns in school had to put up with, when they had me in their class :):). But it was always my favorite class. But for some reason I never wanted to be a nun. Thank Goodness.

Thanks.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 24, 2008, 09:04 AM
    As per the above answers, faith produces action. Faith (for the Christian) is not feeling, it is accepting that God says what He means, and means what He says.

Mar 24, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Most of what I have seen posted so far, is telling me that esentially - Be a good person, go to church. While the comment was made (good comment by the way Allheart) that we should feed the hungry, help the poor etc. we really do not see folks doing this. So then the question arises - How can someone claim to be a good Christian, expecting a heavenly reward , yet do nothing more then donate a few bucks here and there, and go to church? Essencially, I guess it is fair to say that the majority of Christians out there will indeed not be found favorable by God, due to their lack of "actual" works.

So, how does that sit with everyone?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 10:45 AM
    While the comment was made that we should feed the hungry, help the poor etc. we really do not see folks doing this...
    You don't see it? What planet do you live on? :confused:
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 01:00 PM
    The sad truth is... the good that is being done... is never really publized, the good just quietly to about doing good and the news only seems to highlight the negative at times.

I think we can do more and I think we would agree on that.

It is so funny, this morning, I picked up my Mother Teresa book, because she is so good,
    And the page that I turned to was this...

Page 53 "There are many in the world who are dying for a piece of bread, but there are many more dying for a little love."

What a beautiful woman she was and still remains to be, in her most peacful state.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 08:17 PM
    This is part of Christianity that is often forgotten. We look and think about salvation, and that it is not works that get us our salvation, So too many christians then feel they don't have to do any work.

But a christian if they have faith, can't just do nothing, they will have to help someone, tell someoen about Christ, lead a prayerful life. Not all of these but they will do something
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Basically I see it as
    People who say use me Lord and they follow their spirit on where God leads them
    And do the works that evolve in their path.

Then there are the good old ladies who make sure they go to do their works religiously (often along with their gossip) and it is more a brownie point system they follow.

Then there are the people who are all talk and wouldn't help a soul to save their life but they know all the right words.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 08:37 PM
    I guess it is fair to say that the majority of Christians out there will indeed not be found favorable by God, due to their lack of "actual" works.
    Opening the door for someone and giving a happy smile and cheery greeting is a work. Picking up a wallet in the mall parking lot and returning it intact to the owner is a work. Teaching your children good behavior and respect for others is a work. Snowblowing your elderly neighbor's sidewalk and cleaning off his porch is a work. Etc.

Works are not done to earn God's favor or to get us into heaven. Works are thank yous to God for sending His Son Jesus to redeem us. We are blessed by God to be a blessing to others.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl

Works are not done to earn God's favor or to get us into heaven. Works are thank yous to God for sending His Son Jesus to redeem us. We are blessed by God to be a blessing to others.

:D I like that
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 25, 2008, 04:19 AM
    Matt 24:14
    Matt 28:19,20
    Jesus tells us in these scriptures what work we are to be doing and 1Tim 4:10 - We should be working hard and exerting ourselves vigorously, doing these things.
    John 14:12 Jesus speaks of ones who will do works greater than he did. Was he meaning expelling demons or healing sick? No, because he did all these things curing ALL who came to him and even miraculously fed a huge crowd and the gift of the spirit was to cease or end anyway (1 Cor 13:8-10). Rather, he was referring to the declaring of the good news which he said he was sent forth to do (Luke 4:43).
    As the scriptures quoted at the top show, this declaration would be to the entire inhabited earth. This is how certain ones would do works greater than he did during his short stay on the earth, in that they are working hard to preach about God's kingdom and it's wonderful benefits to all those who choose to listen and accept it.
    This is what I consider "works" to be as Jesus and his disciples saw it.
    How many religious organisations do you know of that exert themselves vigorously in doing this work today?
    Luke 13:24 "Exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door because many I tell you will seek to get in but not be able." :)

Mar 25, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    Matt 24:14
    How many religious organisations do you know of that exert themselves vigorously in doing this work today?
    Luke 13:24 "Exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door because many I tell you will seek to get in but not be able." :)

Great answer. I was wondering if anyone would bring up Matt: 24:14, which tells us to spread the news of God's kingdom.

I feel that it takes MUCH more then just good morals, going to church, following the 10 commandments. A good Christian is really obligated to tell others about God's Kingdom.

So, it surprises me when people get mad about others speading the good news. (I.E. Jehovah's Witnesses) Why get upset when we know that these people are doing Christian Works?

(Oh, and I'm not promoting any religion, just used an example of one that does indeed follow Matt: 24:14)

Mar 25, 2008, 03:06 PM
    [QUOTE=LifePaparazzi] it surprises me when people get mad about others speading the good news. (I.E. Jehovah's Witnesses) Why get upset when we know that these people are doing Christian Works?
    QUOTE]

Don't be too surprised because Jesus said "If the world hates you, you know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you." (John 15:18,19 compare 1 Pet 4:3,4):)
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
    The Bible says you will know them by their fruit so if there is no fruit...

Mar 25, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    The Bible says you will know them by their fruit so if there is no fruit......
    Exactly right! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Model AC-527 "NN" works crazy [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I just moved into this new place which already has an Hampton Bay fan -- Model: AC-527 "NN" installed. There is a switch to turn it on. But it works erratically where sometimes only the light turns on, sometimes the light and fan, sometimes just the fan and sometimes neither. It works very...

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

89 Honda Civic LX "dead cylinder" [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I'm new to the sight. On with my question. I have a 89 Honda Civic 1.5 16valve PGM-FI dual point injected. It only has 320,000 mi. This problem happened while driving it. It started missing plus the engine light came on. I have not done a compression check yet. It doesn't smoke or knock,...

Dead Beat "Dad" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daughter that just turned three. Her father is 5,000 in the hole with childsupport, hasn't seen her or even tried making contact with me for over a year. When she was first born he maybe saw her for a total or 20 days in her 3 years of life. He has 2 bench warrants out for his arrest. ...

Microsoft works database "out of memory"! [ 3 Answers ]

Yo, Anyone know how I can stop the above message coming up, when I try to print, or even print preview, a nodest little database. Really apreciate your help, Perth, Australia:confused:

View more questions Search