Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktreece1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 11:37 PM
    Dogs that arre picky eaters
    I have a great dane mixed with a bull mastif and he is a picky eater. He likes dry food mixed with wet food but not all the time as if he looses interest in the food that we have been feeding him. What can I do to get him eating on a regular basis? He is only 9 months old .
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Oh what a little cutie he must be. :)

Limit his treats (sorry big guy)
    NO table food
    Set a schedule for him. If he eats within say 30 minutues although 20 is better, great, if not, pick up the food and give him food at his next scheduled feeding.

Being picky is a choice, but once he is hungry enough, the little guy will eat.

I know it's hard, I used to hand feed mine, (not a wise move ).

Schedule two feeding times and stick to it. In the beginning nothing in between but always leave fresh water.

Give him a huge hug for me :)
    pasiria Posts: 161, Reputation: 29

Mar 24, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Great Danes are Great! Just like their name. You know, we get picky with food too. They have their momentos as well. Yes, the above advice is excellent. We have two great danes and books help so much.
    LifePaparazzi Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 24, 2008, 01:45 AM
    Forgive me for asking, but do you feed him the same brand of food all the time? If not, that could certainly be a factor.

Dogs, unlike us humans, are not really in to eating a differet variety of food each day. While it may or may not be an issue here, I'd like to suggest that you figure out exactly which food he likes best, and then stick with that brand. My dogs are like that. If I switch brands, they won't eat. As soon as I switch back, they gorge themselves.

Also, I would suggest you give him a good quality vitamin tablet. This will supplement his lack of eating and help keep him healthy. You could also buy the liquid dog vitamin. It is sold at most pet stores, in a bottle that is the shape of a salad dressing bottle. Squirt a bit over his food about every 2-3 days.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vegeterians Vs. Meat eaters [ 6 Answers ]

So almost all of us grew up on eating meat. That doesn't mean we will be that way forever. A lot of people become vegetarian and many others consume there way through meat. So take me for example... I grew up eating meat for5 and a half years of my life.. but I want to change that....

11 month old very picky eater [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again everyone, OK 1st thanks for all the help for Seven who had the parvo, I own another dog who is a dear legged Chihuahua, he is tan all over, but his problem is he won't eat much he used to eat his food no problem but now I am finding myself having to mix wet dog food in with his normal dry...

My Puppy Is Very Picky [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 14 years old and my family and I just got a Long-Haired Daschund Named "Piccolo". Piccolo is wonderful and happy all the time. Piccolo used to eat his food and lick the bowl clean but now he only eats a little and then goes under our table waiting for food to fall from my 4 year old...

My dog is a picky eater [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My mom has been feeding my dog human food and it's not good for his stomach. I'm trying to teach him to eat dry food now (He's 5 yrs old), but he takes one sniff and leaves. He hasn't eaten in 2 days, is this a bad sign? Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks to get him to eat dry...

Lab being picky with food [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, My year old lab has been acting a little funny the last 2 days. He will not eat his food right away. We feed him twice a day (morning and evening). He will just look at us when we tell him to go eat. He then goes up to his bowl and will sniff it. I have been putting a few pieces in my...

View more questions Search