Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2much4u02 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Size of a Rottweiler
    I just asked this question in the wrong section... silly me! Please tell me of the largest Rottweiler you may of heard of. My husband insists that he has had one weighing 250lbs, and I think he is mistaken. Thanks:)
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Mar 23, 2008, 08:05 PM
    The largest I have known of was about 140, but honestly the dog was not at a healthy weight. The standard for the breed is 80-130lbs. They are often referred to as a compact large breed. I would guess that if the dog was 250, it was not full bred. It sounds like it was possibly mixed with a much larger breed.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Mar 23, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Hello,

The breed standard for a Rottweiler is 75-130 lbs. For a Rottweiler to top 250 lbs it would have to be morbidly obese which is extremely unhealthy. I've heard of some rotties that reached 150, but never 250.

The biggest dog in the world is an English Mastiff named Hercules who tops the scale at 282 lbs. English Mastiffs typically range from 100-160 lbs (females) to 100-200 lbs. Hercules was the dog in the movie The Sandlot.

There is also a photo supposedly of Hercules that has circulated the internet. It is the wrong type of dog, and is clearly a faked photo.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2008, 08:50 PM
    On Animal Planet, I just watched a show this weekend about a severely overweight Rottweiler in England that was 204 pounds. The show was called Fat Pets.

I agree that his dog may have been mixed with another breed or else he'd be saying it was the fattest thing around. It may have had all the coloration of the breed, etc... and might even have been sold to him as pure, but it does seem a little too heavy.

Here is a link to another story about a rott that weighed in at 220 pounds.
    BBC NEWS | UK | England | Devon | Doggy paddle diet saves Shamrock

A before and after picture at the link below
    Dog-gone: Shamrock the rottweiler swims his way to fitness | the Mail on Sunday
    kayfizzle627 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 09:37 PM
    I also have a female German Rottweiler. She is very large with a lot of muscle and weighs in at 123. Her father was the biggest Rott I have personally ever seen and weighed in at 147. You may want to ask what scale he used to weigh this dog because 250 lbs. seems very unrealistic. Rottys are known to have hip problems. My vet suggested I make her loose some weight because now she is having problems with her hips and is only 3 years old. My thoughts are a dog that large would also have bad hips? Just my thoughts...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 11:29 PM

The worlds heavist dog was named 'Hercules'
    He is an English Mastiff and he weighed in at 282 pounds...

English Mastiffs are about twice the size of a Rottie so I'd say he is telling you a bit of a lie!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 02:18 PM
    250 is way more than a Rotty should weigh. Unless he's crossbred with a bear I'm not sure it's even possible.:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Skinny Rottweiler [ 8 Answers ]

I have a rottweiler that is about 2 years old, no-matter what I feed him he does seem to put on weight. Is there anything I can feed him to bulk he up.

My rottweiler is to skinny [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 2yr old rottweiler mix. I feed her about 4 to 5 cups a day. Took her to the vet they can't find anything wrong. She loves to eat but I can't get her to maintain her weight. Vet notified me she needs to gain about 15 to 20 pounds. I tried eggs,cooked rice, giving her more treats. Nothing is...

Ideal weight of Rottweiler [ 1 Answers ]

What would be an ideal or max or weight range for adult male Rottweiler?

Nippy Rottweiler [ 1 Answers ]

Help! We have a 9 week old Rottweiler that we've had for two weeks. He is very nippy, and we need help curbing this behavior. We have tried the following: giving a firm "NO" and replacing our hand with something he is allowed to chew on, ignoring him as soon as he starts to nip so he isn't getting...

My skinny Rottweiler [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. My is a pure bred. She is 5 years old and was diagnosed with Addison's decease when she was 4 months old. She currently weighs 45 lbs. She has a healthy appetite when it comes to human food and wet dog food. However when it comes to he regular dry dog food she will barely touch it. Does anyone...

View more questions Search