Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cackmann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Car accident settlement
    I was in a car accident 12-28-07. I was not at fault and the insurance company has already taken care of rental car, car repairs. I have approximately $2000 in medical so far, numerous trips to doctors. er and now physical therapy. Whenever I talk with insurance they act like I am not entitled to any type of future medical compensation and should not settle until I am finished with treatment. I have bills piling up now I can't pay at once and they say they won't pay them until we settle. I had attorney contact them, they immediately called me but still seem like they are not cooperative. I have told them on more than one occasion their person slammed into me and I did not ask for all I have had to go through. What types of things besides medical, lost wages, mileage to dr. do I need to consider when looking at settlement offer?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Talk to your attorney. If they call you directly refer them to your attorney. Your attorney should advise you as to what a reasonable settlement should be.

Don't you have health insurance? If so, put in your claims and they willbillthe other driver's insurance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 02:47 PM
    IF you have an attorney don't say another word to them, they will mess you up worst then.

Of course they don't want to pay any future bills, or lose of value on your car, Their people get paid not to pay too much, and they do this by withholding money till they can try and force you to settle for less.

If you have an attorney, if they call again, don't talk, just give them attorneys name and number
    moix4 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Are you talking about medical bills that are piling up, or regular bills? Do you live in a no fault state? Then your own insurance company would pay your medical bills. If you don't have no fault coverage, then you should have medical payments coverage. The only way your health insurance provider would pay for medical bills, would be if there is no other source to pay them.

As you have an attorney, DO NOT speak with their insurance company anymore, just refer them to your attorney.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moix4
    Are you talking about medical bills that are piling up, or regular bills? Do you live in a no fault state? Then your own insurance company would pay your medical bills. If you don't have no fault coverage, then you should have medical payments coverage. The only way your health insurance provider would pay for medical bills, would be if there is no other source to pay them.

As you have an attorney, DO NOT speak with their insurance company anymore, just refer them to your attorney.

And if you personal health insurance pays the bills they will "probably" lien against any settlement.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Typically this is the way insurance settlements are handled. Once they settle with you, they want it to be, well, settled. Over. So they don't want to pay you, say, $5K now, but have you still coming after them for the next 2 years saying your neck is bothering you. Once you reach an agreement with them, they will have you sign a release form saying that your medical needs have been met and that you will not be gunning for them later down the road. Most doctors, if you tell them you've been in an accident will/can defer expenses to the at-fault party's insurance.

But if you have an attorney, they will help you maximize your settlement when it comes to being paid for your pain and suffering. Your attorney can also be of great help when it comes to getting some payments coming immediately to offset expenses during time missed from work. But this is usually only an option for a major accident, because otherwise injured parties will allow the "I'm so hurt" act to go on and on and on... Check with your attorney and do EXACTLY as he/she advises you; which I'm sure will mean no further contact with the at-fault party's ins. co. In the meantime, make sure you are keeping a detailed log of your pain and discomfort, your mileage, and any other expenses you feel you are incurring as a direct result of this accident. [ie. You can't ask for compensation because your daughter cried when she missed her girl scout meeting because you were too hurt to drive her] You can however (with proof) request reimbursement if you had to hire a part-time nanny to help you because you couldn't drive your kids to school. Keep in mind, the more you ask for, the more proof you will be expected to provide.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 05:16 AM
    [QUOTE=nikosmom]Most doctors, if you tell them you've been in an accident will/can defer expenses to the at-fault party's insurance.

This is different from State to State and not the case in NYS, at least not in accidents I've worked on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negotiating car accident settlement offer [ 3 Answers ]

I received a figure from the opposing ins. co. for a settlement in my car accident case. My attorney and I are negotiating this figure. What can happen now-could I wind up getting less?

Car accident settlement [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car accident about four months ago, I was hit broad side by another car. I received neck and a knee injury. I had several x-rays done, and now I am in physical therapy twice a week.. I work full time and have three children who I can barley keep up with . I heard that my settlement...

What should I ask for in my car accident settlement? [ 2 Answers ]

I was in an accident on 2/5/2007. I was rear ended in my 2000 beetle while on an off-ramp on the freeway. At the time, I was not taken to the hospital, but I have since seen my doctor for back and neck pain. My doctor says that she cannot refer me to a chiropractor or physical therapist since...

Car accident settlement [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I'm about to reach a settlement with an auto insurance regarding a car accident that I was involved last month, I'm of course going to try to bleach their bones, because I know they will try to offer me a disgusting amount. At this time I am not taking an attorney with me, if I see that...

Car Accident Settlement [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a car accident and in May 14, 2006 will be the limit to file. I've been working with the insurance company and they want to settle for 13,500. $6,762.75 in what they claim are medical cost and 6,500.00 for my pain and suffering. My medical cost comes out to 14,000, milage @1,095.26. I...

View more questions Search