Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    211946 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 07:23 AM
    16.5 briggs & stratton blowing white smoke, why?
    I have a 16.5 hp B&G engine OVC. Model #313777, type 0134-ez, code 990929ze. I need to know in detail how to change head gasket. What all is involved, such as, sequence of bolts, amount of tourqe and anything else I need to do and how to do it. All information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Tony (211946)
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Why do you want to change the head gasket?
    White smoke is oil being burnt.
    211946 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 03:53 PM
    O. K. Mowerman2468,

Let me try again. I have a 16.5 B & G engine OHV (dont know where OVC came from, wasn't thinking straight). Anyway Mod#313777, Type 0134-ez, Code 990929ze. I changed oil & filter on level ground, made sure right amount of oil. (As I normaly do this time of year down south Miss. Or north New Orleans. Moved to higher ground since Katrina.) Point is can't afford to bring it to a shop. Anyway, cut a little grass (as in lawn.) White smoke started blowing out of exhaust, (thought it was my pipe at first) (just kidding). I shut it down and checked air breather, full of oil. What's up?

Tony (211946)

P. S. Some of life's lessons are learned by what circumstances takes from us or gives us, sometimes little, sometimes much. If you can give me lesson here it would be much.

THANKS.
    SkipB Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Sounds like the mower was tipped on its side and oil got into the muffler
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Well, if you have oil in the air filter housing, it could be that your breather assembly is bad. Replace the assembly.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 03:24 PM

Check the o-ring on the dipstick were it goes in the block for a tight fit,also check the crankshaft seals to see if they are leaking,
    This could cause it to suck in air were its not suppose to ,this would mess with the block vacuum and cause it to blow through the block vent / block breather.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs and Stratton 17 HP bellows white smoke [ 27 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a 17 hp OHV Briggs model #311707-0132-E1. I seems to run fine until I start mowing. The added pressure on the engine from the cutting is creating a huge cloud of white smoke. It stops as soon as I stop the blades and put it in neutral. I assume oil is getting...

16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton blowing white smoke [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 yr old Murray riding mower. The engine started blowing white smoke and looses power when on a incline. Move the mower to level and runs well.

Briggs & Stratton blows white smoke [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Cub Cadit garden tractor 1500 series with a Briggs & stratton engine When coming off an incline the engine starts bolwing white smoke like it is pulling engine oil into combustion chamber. What causes this?

View more questions Search