Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snehithan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 11:32 PM
    Accounting entries
    Dear all

I would be grateful if you could help me by teaching what are the account to be posted for these transactions.

My brother and I (sharing equally) buy house for 39750 USD which needs to be paid in 3 intallments. We have to pay 17250/- 11250/- 11250/- as 1, 2 and 3rd instalments respectively.

23.03.2008 Register house 39750/-
    23.03.2008 pay 1st install 17250/- paid by me

23.06.2008 2nd installment to be paid
    23.09.2008 3rd installment to be paid.

Anyone could help me posting entries for these transactions?

Thanks a lot
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 02:29 PM
    I admit to being a bit uncomfortable answering this, cause individuals buying houses don't generally go around making accounting entries. They would be more concerned with figuring out the cost basis and tax consequences and such things like that.

So it just sounds odd to be asking how to post entries for you and your brother buying a house. And, those payments would presumably include interest of some sort.

But if you're actually looking for how a business would make entries for this, and if we ignore interest, then you'd debit the house (asset), credit cash for the down payment of 17250, and then the balance due is a credit to a note payable.

When each of the future payments is made, you debit it back out of notes payable and credit the cash paid.

If it's actually something else you needed, you need to define what you mean by "entry."
    snehithan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 11:52 PM
    Thanks Morgaine.

The share from each partner yet to be received can be posted as below?

Dr A (me) 2625
    Dr B 19875
    Cr Receivable 22500
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snehithan
    Thanks Morgaine.

The share from each partner yet to be received can be posted as below?

Dr A (me) 2625
    Dr B 19875
    Cr Receivable 22500
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to do with this entry. Are A & B your drawing accounts? And if so, it looks like you're removing money due to the company by taking it off your capital balances? Did the company make a payment on your behalf?

I guess I just don't get what's going on here. Who actually is buying the house, and is there a company involved? i.e. are you buying as individuals, or are you buying this as a partnership together for some purpose? (e.g. investment property)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting, adjusting entries [ 1 Answers ]

The Ritz Manor is a popular seaside resort. A double room costs $220 for one night. In order to reserve a room, guests must pay one night’s stay in advance. On each floor of the hotel, Vendalite Company operates vending machines with energy bars, juices, and other snacks for guests. Vendalite...

Accounting entries- billed services [ 3 Answers ]

The follo0wing are the balances in the acocunts for Joan Miller Advertising Agency as of January 31, 2001 Fees Receivable Debit $200 Wages Payable Credit $180 During the month of Feb, the agency engaged in the following transactions: Feb 8 . Completed the series of advertisements for...

Accounting - Correcting and Reversing Entries [ 1 Answers ]

Funds were entered into the wrong revenue account how do I correct this. The funds were receipted into a foreign revenue account and should have been received into a USD revenue account. How do I reverse and correct this? LiLi

Accounting Adjusting entries [ 3 Answers ]

Hasterson has a five-day work week and pays salaries of $70,000 each Friday 1 Make the adjusting entry required on July 31, assuming that August 1 falls on a Wednesday. 2 Make the entry to pay the salaries on August 3. Thanks!!

View more questions Search