Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelafrickel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Shower drain water pouring out drain for washer
    When my shower is running it pours out my washing machine drain. What could be ?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Hey Angela:

The washing machine drain and the shower drain share a common drain line. That drain line must be clogged. Look for cleanout at the base of the pipe the washer and the shower connect into... look just as pipe comes out of floor... should see some kind of cleanout if you are lucky! If you find cleanout, remove and snake drain line with an electric snake (rent snake, and use leather gloves and eye protection, too! )

If other fixtures end up overflowing this same pipe, by the way, then it will be the main drain line that is clogged. Let us know if this turns out to be the case.. can talk you through that as well.. ;)

Let us know your thoughts.. Mark

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain leaking out of washer drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two showers upstairs and it just started leaking when the shower is running it will pour water out of the downstairs drain that the washer drains out of. What could this be

Tapping into washer drain for a shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a extra outlet from the washer drain pipe, witch I would like to drain my shower into. My problem is that the drain pipe is off the floor about 10 inches, so I can't get a proper pitch on the pvc to drain. Is this possible to do? The law of gravity is against me. Thanks, grmahappy

Draining a Shower and washer to a single drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there Can a washing machine and a shower share a drain? The location of our rough in for a bathroom in the basement is crazy and we're trying to come up with ideas on how to lay it out. Putting the washer on one side of the wall and the shower on the other with the two sharing a drain... so...

Can a washer be hooked into my shower/tub water and drain? [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanted to say I've been reading all the advice you guys give out and I have to say I think I'm in good hands... My question is: I have a spare room on the other side of my bathroom that my wife wants me to make into a laundry room.. I can get to all the plumbing like the showerhead and...

Using shower drain for washer - questions [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for any help on my following questions. I am moving our washer/dryer to an existing bathroom. I plan on using what was a shower drain for the washer. We are on a slab and I believe the shower drain is vented already. I plan on installing a check valve to prevent back flow. I...

View more questions Search