Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tax_calculate Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Self on H1 and spouse on H4. Filing tax first time
    Hi,
    I have come to US on H1B in Oct 2005. This is the first time I will be filing my taxes. I have a SSN no. I am a software engineer working in CT, USA.

My spouse is on H4 and joined me in Dec 2005. We don't have any children.

From what I have understood after reading other related links in this forum, that my spouse has to fill W7 form and that has to be sent to PA IRS office along with my federal tax returns. IRS office will give ITIN to my spouse which I will use on my state return form? Is that so ? My federal taxes will get filled when I apply for my spouse's ITIN number ? No ITIN number of my spouse is required for filing my federal returns ?

2) I want to know what form do I need to download to file my federal tax returns and from where can I get the form ?

3) IRS office will take about 4-6 weeks to give me ITIN no after they receive W& form with federal returns. I will use that ITIN number to fill my state returns ? What form will I need for filing state returns. From where can I donwload the form to file state returns? I have been staying and working in CT since Oct 2005.
    Will I be able to file my state taxes online or will I have to send the filled form in a mail to IRS office after getting the ITIN number ?

4) My tax filing status will be what ? Married and Filing jointly ?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 11:52 PM
    TC:

It's easiest to answer in reverse order!

4) Assuming your wife does not work, you file Married Filing Jointly.

3) Check out the CT state government website to get the correct form. You need to wait until you get your wife's ITIN back from the IRS before filing the CT form, so you have time to figure out which form to file.

2) Almost 100% sure you can file Form 1040EZ.

1) Yes, you do have to file a W-7 with a notarized photocopy of your wife's passport with your Form 1040EZ, The IRS personnel at the Philadelphia PA IRS Center will issue the ITIN, fill it in on the Form 1040EZ and then process your return.
    tax_calculate Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Thanks a lot for answering my queries.
    eemtee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Self on H1 (have SSN) and spouse on H4. When applying for ITIN for spouse which checkbox to check :

a. Nonresident alien required to obtain ITIN to claim tax treaty benefit

b. Nonresident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

c. U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

d. Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien _ Enter name and SSN/ITIN of U.S. citizen/resident alien (see instructions)

e. Spouse of U.S. citizen/resident alien

f. Nonresident alien student, professor, or researcher filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

g. Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa

h. Other (see instructions)

I am confused between e. and g.

Please advise.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Eemtee:

How long have you been in the U.S.

Feb 21, 2006, 07:37 PM
    I've been in the US since 2002. Came here on F-1 and have filed taxes every year since then.

In jan 2004 I got my H-1.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2006, 10:58 PM
    Then check E.

You have to file as a resident alien (Form 1040) because of the Substantial Presence Test. Checkbox E best describes your case.

Feb 22, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Thank you for all your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2006, 10:39 PM
    Glad to help!
    solidp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Self on H1 since Feb 2005 (have SSN) and spouse on H4 but not joined me here in the US as yet. When applying for ITIN for spouse which checkbox to check:

a. Nonresident alien required to obtain ITIN to claim tax treaty benefit

b. Nonresident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

c. U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

d. Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien _ Enter name and SSN/ITIN of U.S. citizen/resident alien (see instructions)

e. Spouse of U.S. citizen/resident alien

f. Nonresident alien student, professor, or researcher filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

g. Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa

h. Other (see instructions)

Please advise.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2006, 06:42 PM
    Select item E.
    wadherag Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Hi,

I also need to send a W-7 along with my federal return, which I have not sent as of yet.

How do I convey this to the state tax authorities i.e. my wife will not have an ITIN in the next week within which I need to file my return.

Please Advise.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 10, 2006, 09:42 AM
    File an extension with the state tax authorities and wait until the IRS issues you the ITIN. Once you get your wife's ITIN back from the IRS, then (and only then) file the state tax return.

Apr 11, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Hi,

I forgot to mention that I was on F1 till June and am therefore considered a non-resident alien for 2005.

Can I still file under "Married filing jointly"?

This was the main reason why I was applying for an ITIN for my wife so that I can file jointly with her.

Otherwise, what other options do I have?

Please Advise.

Apr 11, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Sorry, I was on F1 till Dec (including Optional Practical Training)
    prapro Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Hi,

I am holding H1B visa living in us since jan 2005 and I am filing tax returns jointly with wife and showing my kid as dependent. Now I am applying TIN number for my wife and kid both having H4 visa. Can you please advice me , what are all the options need to take in these reasons listed in W7 form for my wife and kid ?

a.Nonresident alien required to obtain ITIN to claim tax treaty benefit
    b.Nonresident alien filing a U.S. tax return
    c.U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
    d.Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien
    e.Spouse of U.S. citizen/resident alien
    f.Nonresident alien student, professor, or researcher filing a U.S. tax return
    g.Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa
    h.Others

Thanks,
    Durga
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Durga:

Answer on other post: Item E for wife, Item D for child.
    anks_007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Hi,

I am on H1 and my wife is on H4. I am filing the W7 form to get an ITIN for her.
    I have one question on the form.
    My wife came to the US in Oct 2005. We went to India in Feb 06 and she came back to the US in Feb 06. So the altest I94 shows a Feb entry date.

In the W7 form section 6d - What entry date should I put. Feb06 or Oct 05.

Thanks,
    AS
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Since the W-7 applies for Tax Year 2005, put Oct 05
    anisirohi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 03:00 PM
    I came here on H1B on June 2007, and my wife and son came here on H4 on Dec 17, 2007. Can I claim my son as dependent for 2007?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Filing returns for 2005 with my spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1 visa since Feb 05. My wife joined me in April 05 on H4 visa. Currently I am using TaxCut to file my return and later along with my Fedral return I will be applying for my spouse W7. I have the following Queries: 1. Do you want to file a joint return with your spouse? Yes/No How...

Processing time at New Delhi for Australian spouse visa [ 0 Answers ]

What is the processing time at New Delhi for Australian spouse visa?(Sub class 309) Hi I lodged my application for Spouse visa at Australian High commmission at NewDelhi on Oct 7,2005 under Sub class 309) I was given the forms for medical at the time of lodging the application....

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search