Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karthik_seshu Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 02:31 PM
    Hi,
    I will get my wife's ITIN in probably next 4-6 weeks. Can I efile in websites like taxactonline for state etax with that itin? Or should I do only manual file as I am filing with "married" status for the first time?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Yes, you CAN efile with an ITIN.
    jtorgunrud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2011, 04:03 PM
    I am in the US under a H4 status and we are at the adjustment of status level. My wife has been filing taxes with me as a dependent. I have employment status in US but I have never worked in the US. I am employed in Canada and spend 150 days a year there working full time in Canada and the rest of the in the US. If my wife filed separately would I be required to file a tax return reporting my Canadian income?
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
    If you file jointly, you MUST claim all world-wide income, to include the Canadian income. However, you CAN also claim the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) for the Canadian income taxes that you will pay.

You also have the option of your wife filing separately (and claim YOuR exemption) while you file ONLY in Canada.

I recommend you calculate the return BOTH ways and pick the one that results in the least amont of tax.

If you need professional help, email me at [email protected].
    Renadi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Hi Atlanta Tax Expert,

I am H1B since Feb 2008 and my got married in Nov 2011 and my wife joined me in Jan 2012. My questions are:

1. Can I file jointly and show my wife as dependent?
    2. In W7 form do I select E or G
    E. Spouse of U.S. Citizen/resident alien
    G. Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. Visa
    3. As per MA state every individual needs health insurance, but for 2011 my wife was not here and does not have health insurance

Thanks in Advance
    Prasad
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
    1) When you file jointly, she is NOT your dependent, she is your co-filer.

2) Choose E.

3) That will be a tricky one. You need to show that she was NON-resident during 2011 on the Massachusetts return in order to avoid the penalty; NOT sure off the top of my head HOW to do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Filing returns for 2005 with my spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1 visa since Feb 05. My wife joined me in April 05 on H4 visa. Currently I am using TaxCut to file my return and later along with my Fedral return I will be applying for my spouse W7. I have the following Queries: 1. Do you want to file a joint return with your spouse? Yes/No How...

Processing time at New Delhi for Australian spouse visa [ 0 Answers ]

What is the processing time at New Delhi for Australian spouse visa?(Sub class 309) Hi I lodged my application for Spouse visa at Australian High commmission at NewDelhi on Oct 7,2005 under Sub class 309) I was given the forms for medical at the time of lodging the application....

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search