Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigtee321 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Landlords wife don't have death certificate
    I spoke with my landlords wife she told me he killed himself, he jump off a bridge, and they can't find the body. So section 8 said that they cannot put rent payments in her name, everything is in his name. So I figure that at some point they will stop rent payments because he's deceased. I really would like to know what happens after this:confused:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2006, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtee321
    I spoke with my landlords wife she told me he killed himself, he jump off a bridge, and they can't find the body. So section 8 said that they cannot put rent payments in her name, everything is in his name. So i figure that at some point they will stop rent payments because he's deceased. I really would like to know what happens after this:confused:

What?

Your landlord is/was paying YOU rent?

The husband died, the wife can't pay you. But if he was your landlord, he wouldn't have to.

Was he your tenant?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 07:33 PM
    As long as the section 8 people have a contract with this landlord.

If his body is missing, there will be a police report but he will not be declared dead for years until the court declares him dead at the reqest of his family normally.

Once he is declared dead, if there is another owner on the deed, they would merely take over. Also even after he is dead, any money would merely go into the estate and the administor of the estate would continue to run things until the will transfers the property to the new owner.

Till they can't find the body they will assume him alive but missing,
    Most likely (depends of if her name is listed on the deed, or if this is a community property state) depending on your state, the wife will be joint owner of all property anyway, and will have the right to take care of the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Marijuana and landlords [ 16 Answers ]

Hello: For what it’s worth, I live in Seattle. I have a prescription for marijuana. In a previous rental, I had a legal medical marijuana garden, and I had a big red sign on the door stating so. While I was away for a weekend, my landlord paid me a visit. He tore down the sign and called the...

Odd landlords [ 9 Answers ]

This is long so I apologize in advance... My significant other, daughter, and I moved into a full house with a large yard 2 months ago. We rented through a real estate agent. I specifically wanted this house because of the large yard. There have been several problems with the demands of...

Tennants / landlords questions [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I go to get the answers to real estate questions with respect to tennants / landlords in the states of Ohio, PA, South Carolina, AL, TN, and North Carolina?

Gift certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I revived a gift certificate from my job for $300.00 when I went to use it to pay for the hotels the travel agent took his commission out of my certificate can he do that?

Tax certificate liens [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just starting looking at different investments. Is anyone currently investing in tax certificate liens? What are the pros and cons?

View more questions Search