Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Norm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Software ownership issue
    Our company entered into a contract to develop software for the exclusive use of a client for a fixed fee of $ 300,000. The software is currently 80% completed, however our client has paid only $ 100,000 to date and is now filing for bankruptcy. Under the circumstances, we have offered to relinquish any further claims on our client in exchange for keeping a copy of the software for our use. Our Client has refused this offer and at this time is unwilling to negotiate alternative payment terms.

What is our legal position if we unilaterally decide to retain the software and sell it to a third party to recover our costs? Could our client (or its bankruptcy trustee) take some legal action against us at some future date for our use of “their” software, in spite of the fact they have only partially paid for it ?

We are sure there are legal remidies here, but we do not want to initiate any legal action unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

Norm
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2006, 12:14 PM
    How clear - if mentioned - is ownership of the software in the contract?

I'm wondering if they even own it now- prior to its completion and delivery?

In any case, you do not need to initiate the action. If you finish the project and sell it elsewhere, your original client would be the one to initiate the action; with a claim that you are selling "their" software... so will they even be in business to do so then?

I would NOT give them what you have unless the bky court demands it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 12:25 PM
    I would first let the legal department of your firm take care of this.
    This is an assumption since a company doing this large of business should at a min have a lawyer on retainer.

But assuming since you are aking this here, you don't, so go get one that deals with bankruptcy law.

From my small opinion, you will need to represent this program as secured property, (think of it as a house, or a car or a washer/dryer) who the persons owes for.

If the court accepts this representation of the property, then he will either have to re-affirm his debt to you ( make payment plans) or return the ownership of the property to you.

But this is only my opinin of the matter, without looking at the specific contact you have with this person ( which needed to spell out what happens if the program is not paid for and/or bankruptcy)

So my overall answer, hire a bankruptcy attorney that normally works for the creditor.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2006, 12:46 PM
    First off, you should consult with a lawyer.

You need to check the actual contract. Who owns the equipment?

Is there an escape clause? The wording of the contract on ownership is important here.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Do not take any action with regard to the software. You entered into a contract with this client. When the client declared bankruptcy, any action that you might have taken was "stayed" by the bankruptcy filing. Even if the client was in default at the time you could not do anything about it. The client's trustee now has to either accept or reject the contract. If the trustee accepts the contract then the terms must be fulfilled by both sides. You must complete the software and they must pay you in full. If the trustee rejects the contract then you will be free to sell the software to anyone and the client will no longer have any obligation to pay you. Your attorney will be able to file a motion to compel the trustee to accept or reject the contract within a period that is shorter than the time generally allowed (90 days, I believe) but other than that there is not much you can do until the trustee makes their decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Domain Ownership [ 2 Answers ]

Help, First, thanks for having this site. And I'm glad to have joined Background: Now. I created a website called LGBTNation.org. because I was working at another site that was using all my talents for free, and they were making money. So I started my site. Because I have good network...

Ownership of the media [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me answer the following question: What is the direct and indirect ownership of the media? How might it be viewed as a threat to democracy? What do you think?

Proof of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new house 6 years ago; we received a certificate of occupancy from our township . Do we need a title for the house or the COO is enough proof of the ownership?

Car ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I helped a friend of our daughter purchase a car several months back. He is a minor. The agreement was that we would help him purchase the car, transfer the title directly to his Mother and she would pay the insurance premiums. Since that time his Mom has informed us that she no...

View more questions Search