Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msplumby Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Offset flange not fitting

Hi,

I have a rough in of 15" for the toilet I just removed. I am trying to install an offset closet flange to get my new toilet a couple inches closer to the wall, but the new flange is 4" and my drain (or whatever it's called) into the ground is also 4". How do I get the offset flange in the hole?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 08:03 AM
    The flange is slightly larger than the pipe, it is sometimes referred to as the female fitting, the pipe is the male fitting and small enough to slide into the flange. If they are identical in size then there is already a coupling on the pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2008, 08:08 AM
    It sure would help if we knew what material the flange and pipe are made of.

Mar 22, 2008, 09:03 AM
    The pipe is some sort of corroded metal. The flange is plastic. It doesn't appear to be coupled. Please bear with me, I'm learning as I go. :)

Name:  Plumbing 002.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  12.0 KB

Name:  Plumbing 001.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  17.5 KB
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Ahh.. you are trying to mix materials. Wait for the pros on this subject.

Ps. Is that drain pipe a basement slab install? I got a feeling they might suggest to dig around the drain to give yourself some working room to make this connection properly. Intersting problem, I look forward to reading their answer!

Mar 22, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Knucklez,

It is in cement with no basement. I appreciate your input. I'm thinking moving the toilet just isn't going to happen!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 11:43 AM
    I think you have an Oatey ABS offset and its not going to work with a cast iron pipe set in concrete without some extra work. You'd have to dig out the old iron flange and get the hole wider to accommodate the off set. You offset also appears to be made to be glued onto a ABS waste pipe, not cast iron. When Tom comes back around he may have a few pieces of advice.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Hi everyone:

msplumby:

You said was a 15" rough in huh? You said this was regarding a new toilet..yes? What rough in toilet did you purchase? 12" ? 14 ?

A twelve inch toilet should leave you with a good 3 to 4 inches between tank and wall... that is not very good.

A 14" rough in toilet will leave you with only about 1-2...much better!

Now an offset flange will gain you between 1.5 and 2 inches...so if at 15 now, seems to me that best case would be a 13" rough in... which leaves standard (12"rough) toilet tank between 1-2 inches off the wall.

That is the same space that a 14 inch rough will have at its toilet tank. If this were me.. I would just purchase a 14" rough toilet for this installation. TOTO makes some great 14" rough toilets... as does kohler and american standard.

Changing that cast iron flange over to a cast iron offset flange is really quite a bit of work!

Anyway, If you decide you still want to install offset flange.. let us know and we will talk you through it...

Glad to help! Mark
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Careful though.. I had the similar problem but was too close to the wall. My solution was to get a 10" center toilet.. until I found out that they START at $800... :eek:
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Knucklez AND MSPLUMBY:

10" and 14" rough toilets can be more expensive then standard 12" rough in toilets....BUT prices start right at around $200.00...and can go as high as $300 for these toilets.

Increases in price after that are usually due to type of toilet chosen, such as a one piece design toilet. They are certainly more expensive then a two-piece toilet.

Anyway, msplumby...can find some great 14" rough toilets for between 200 and 300 max... if you just want a good, reliable flushing toilet (toto, american standard and kohler).

Let us know your thoughts... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offset Closet Flange for Cast Iron? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My cast iron waste pipe centerline is 11 inches from the finished wall. It worked with my old toilet (since disposed of) but won't work for my new Kohler. Is there an offset for cast iron that is easy to install? BTW, the floor was tiled and the old closet flange had an extra flange as a...

Is there a specific wax ring for an offset flange [ 6 Answers ]

My question is : is there a special/specific type of wax ring that should be used with an offset flange. I have installed many toilets over the years and this is the first time I have ever seen an offset flange. When I took the old toilet off the wax ring wax not properly lined up with the...

Installing offset toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

The 2x10 floor joist in right in the middle of where I want the center of the flange to be, how much of the floor joist can I legally remove so the offset flange will fit?

Offset Closet Flange Installation [ 1 Answers ]

Installing a toilet in a new basement bathroom. Center of 4: PVC drain pipe is 13.5" from the wall, so I tried to use an offset flange, made by Oatey Caspers. It was a snug fit, so I did some sanding with sandpaper and emery cloth, applied the cement and tapped it down, but could not get it in...

View more questions Search